If you use Chrome, what malware can infect you?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

That's the same question I have. Could someone could explain in layman's terms if SandboxIE with IE or Firefox provides more protection than Google Chrome? Are there any advantages to using SandboxIE?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Did you guys see the Bromium Report that explains the architectures of Type A (Sandboxie) and Type B (Chrome) sandboxes?

3. guest

guest Guest

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=350960

Sandboxie = Type A sandbox = Virtualization-based
    Chrome's sandbox = Type B sandbox = Integrity level restrictions

To limit the scope, let's put Linux aside. From what I can understand, type B sandbox works better in modern OSes (Vista and above), while type A sandbox works better in the older OSes (XP and below). If you are using Firefox, do use Sandboxie. But for Chrome or IE11, it's not necessary. Sure, you can use Sandboxie with Chrome or IE11, but I don't see much point in doing that.

EDIT: Oh dang, wat got it first. :D

4. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Here are the answers on SBIE forums:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=88252

And the following is for online banking:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This settles entire debate, let's see what Hungry Man and Windows Security have to say, if they agree/disagree.
    It proves my point: tight configuration of kernel is the key to solve kernel exploits problems.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. guest

guest Guest

6. guest

guest Guest

Why should be sarcastic? o_O

As far as I can understand:

1. If you are using XP or below, Firefox + Sandboxie is the better way to go.
    2. If you are using Vista or above, you can choose to use Chrome or IE's sandbox alone, or use Firefox + Sandboxie.
    3. If you are using Linux, Chrome's sandbox is stronger than it is in Windows.

Tighten your sandbox is the key, so Sandboxie should be tweaked a bit.

7. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Exactly that's my point; the way I see it here and on SBIE forums, I came to the conclusion; it all depends how much you can configure SBIE or Google Chrome-this is where the real power/efficiency/security lies; and SBIE in this category has huuuge advantage over Google Chrome.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.