If you have VLC do you need anything else?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kuroudo Akabane, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuroudo Akabane

Kuroudo Akabane Registered Member

Like Windows Media Player, Flash, Java, Quicktime, Real Player, etc.

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

VLC Player contains pretty much all the codecs you'll be likely to need in order to play the vast majority of media files,however you'll still need Java and FlashPlayer since they're proprietory formats.

3. Kuroudo Akabane

So I'll just need VLC, Java, and Flash?

Can I remove Windows Media Player to free up space on the HDD?

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

VLC can play flash encoded videos with .flv extensions. However, you will still need flash for flash content on the internet.

As to my knowledge there are no Java encoded videos.

Yes, you do not need windows media player if you have VLC.

I would recommend that with VLC you should still keep one or two other media players. I keep KMplayer, SMplayer and GOMPlayer in reserve, just in case.

5. Kuroudo Akabane

Well I'm trying to keep as much space available on my HDD...

So what would be the best back-up media player(s) to keep besides having VLC, Java, and Flash installed?

Does anyone need Real Player or QuickTime anymore?

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

If you just want to keep one more player then I would recommend KMPlayer.

No, you do not need Real player or Quick time anymore as both VLC and KMPlayer can play .mov videos and real media.

7. Kuroudo Akabane

Thanks!

Also, besides Flash Player do I need Shockwave?

8. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Anything you need, you'll get a message if you don't have it and a suggestion to install it.

Most people don't need Java. It's 'best' not to have it as the updater will run in the background, historically updates poorly/incompletely, and Java is the most commonly exploited Windows program.

For the rest of the programs, just research their function to decide if you need them.

I use Adobe Flash because I watch Flash videos online (youtube). Flash is still much faster for me than the alternative, HTML5. You can read the FAQ to see if you need Adobe Shockwave (http://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/kb/shockwave-player-faq.html#main_3).

I can't remember the last time I used Quicktime or Realplayer - and when I did, I used lightweight alternatives in Quicktime Lite and Real Alternative. VLC can take over for both standards, although the browser plugin is a work in progress.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use KM Player and Flash to satisfy my needs for videos. If you use VLC Player and keep KM Player as reserve along with Flash Player you need nothing else. :)

10. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

For videos, not really. Although VLC can handle music, I'd suggest something like foobar2000 instead. It's built solely for audio, therefore you'll have far more control over your collection.

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

VLC for videos. Adobe Flash Player for flash content on browsers (other than Chrome). Any audio player that suits your taste for your audio collection. That's all you probably need. If you don't have a need for Java, then don't install it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.