If you could design your own anti-malware program?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

well I use Linux (Suse\Debian), but with considerable caution since Ive yet to develop any indepth security knowledge within it. Ive been employing Knoppix of course for years as a Live CD and even played around with STD

But there are two reasons I continue to develop my Windows skills, the first is the investments made in software (Labview, 3DStudioMax ect) or simply compatibility of useful or required freeware (Accutrac)

The second is friends and customers use of Windows. While Ive recently been working on loading older boxes with nix OS's that employ lower resources as an alternative Ive still not developed the confidence in my nix skills to turn them loose (again Suse w\ YAST on 64MB RAM boxes)

With the development debacle that was Vista, I think I agree with tech prophets forecasting the end of the big "be all" OS

And as the industry in general and to a lesser extent the public realizes just how much exploit development has broadened from the OS to applications (ie Symantec) I see a need for a program that rather than trying to catch and prevent bad things from happening, verifies the current integrity of a system from outside it. I know that checksums can be faked, and not enough about signatures or the kernel to actually offer "how" it could be done, but I think it probably could be.

It might have an interface where you checkoff the installed applications you want to check and their current version along with the OS and its patches then examines the HDD from a LiveCD, which of course would likely be bootstraped as a nix platform with network capabilities to download the required definitions it needs to subsequently check.

?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Nice to see another LabVIEW user here!

Back to security models. Windows problems really started when they invented the registry. And the reason for registry = money. So you would not simply uninstall a program and delete its folder and then reinstall and use it again. Money is what makes the Windows the most insecure OS available.

Mrk

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

LabView n00bie :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about why Id value an ap that could verify a system is clean to a very high degree of probability and was considering starting a thread asking when was the last time anyone actually had a serious successful infection (on their box).

As far as I can tell, its been close to 5 years for me.
    Have I really been that successful or have I just overwritten undetected malware with new installs and reimages?
    Ive never had any unusual activity with financial institutions but ...

well that certainly stopped the majority of users :p

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.