If upgrading to Windows 7, are you going with the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Discussion in 'polls' started by InfinityAz, Jun 27, 2009.

?

When installing Windows 7, are you going to install 32-bit or 64-bit version?

1. 32-bit

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. 64-bit

50 vote(s)
    60.2%
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Just wondering, if you are going to update to Windows 7, are you going to install the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version.

2. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Depends on the machine. I use 4 GB now for my desktop and the next one will have 12 GB.
    My laptop only has 3, and 32 is fine.

Especially with the RAM limit (which is the trigger for most people) 64 bit will be the future.
    But for all my older pc's 32 is still running fine. But I don't have any problems with 64 :).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

64 bit, I don't see why I should hold my system back, we need to progress onto the next era.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

agreed, i think since launch of vista 64 bit has become much more popular, more people who use it the faster drivers and programs will support it, about time 64 bit became the norm, it's been out long enough imho.

5. Eagle Creek

I've used XP 64 but driver support was a disaster. Almost the only device I got working was my mouse :rolleyes: .

It was a good warming up though :).

6. Boost

Boost Registered Member

32 bit

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well I wouldn't go near XP 64 with a 10ft pole, I was considering Vista 64, but passed. w7 is definitely "the one" for me. Also just a reminder for everyone, this is about w7, so don't vote about other OS's.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm running Vista64, and the only application I had to abandon for the time being is Shadow Defender (the developer said it will take 'several months'). Otherwise no problems. Upgrading to Win7 would naturally be 64 as well.

9. icr

icr Registered Member

64 bit

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I voted for 64-bit, due to the fact that soon I'll be getting a machine that will handle quite an amount of RAM. 32-bit can't handle it.

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Depends on which computer....laptop probably 32 bit....and 64 bit on at least a couple of my desktops, probably a 32 bit on a desktop or two too.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wouldn't have anything other than x64....

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

x64 without question

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I hope, that next Win will be finally 64-bit only as Vista and Win7 were supposed to be. 32-bit is holding software back, though MS will suffer some market loss.

15. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

64-bit for the extra ram.

16. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! When Windows 7 is released, will stick with 32bit for the first year,and see if 64bit will be feasible at a later date. Sincerely...Securon

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

12 GB RAM :eek: :eek: :eek: :)

Why do you need so much ?

I have never seen a machine with so much RAM o_O

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

64bit version. i have 6GB of ram and was hoping windows 7 would be 64bit only. MS couldnt because it would break compatibilty again and businesses once again would stay with xp.

19. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

:thumb:

20. catnotspam

catnotspam Registered Member

*puppy* my laptop is x86 =32 bit i stick with 32 bit OS *puppy*

21. Eagle Creek

On workstations/desktop you mean I guess?

I always used to have more RAM then above average. I ran my XP with 2 GB, where most people had 512 or 1 GB. Then I had 4 GB when 2 GB became the norm. Then we got Vista. Everybody suddenly had 4 GB. I have 4 GB right now but I'm suffering a lack of free memory on a regular basis. Although 8 GB might would be enough, with 12 I'm always good.

Why I need it? I multitask a lot and I run virtual machines. In the old days you could run Windows 98 virtual with 64 MB, Windows 2000 with 128 and a virtual XP with 256 or even 512, all at the same time with no problem. These days, when you run Windows Server 2008, or Vista/7 you need at least 1 GB to have it run smoothly. If your own machine has 4 GB, and 2/3 GB is used for the OS and applications itself you are running out of RAM very soon. Like I said: 8 GB would be enough for normal situations, but I want to have that extra power in case I need it. I'm also going to have a pretty nice HDD configuration, although that's a bit off topic. You can send me a pm if you like :).

22. progress

progress Guest

+1 :)

23. Creer

Creer Registered Member

24. c2d

c2d Registered Member

64 bit cause I m planning to use 6 GB of RAM in my new core i7 machine.

25. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

32-bit because more software will be compatible with it, why have the extra RAM and performance, when you can't run your favorite programs on it?

You will end up with a high performance system that can't really do much and is always behind 32-bit systems.

Software vendor's always release 64-bit software last and a lot of time when they say it will support 64-bit, the software are full of bugs. 64 bit are always last to get driver updates also or supported drivers.

Just look at all of the issues for 64-bit XP and Vista, what would anyone think that 64-bit Windows 7 would be any different?

Thanks.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.