If I have ProcessGuard do I need Ad-Watch?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by sly87, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sly87

sly87 Guest

Can PG protect the same things? (e.g. Startup section, executable file assocations, browser hijack attempts) I'm not worried about popups since I got SP2.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

ProcessGuard provides a different type of protection than Ad-watch. However, what it does do, is protect you from unauthorized executables they may attempt to change the startup section, file associates, etc. as well as many other dangerous actions that Ad-watch does not guard against.

If you are satisfied with Ad-watch then I would recommend that you keep it running as an additional layer of defense. On my system it was causing problems, so I uninstalled it and am using RegDefend to protect the registry and Winpatrol (now and then) to detect changes in other parts of my operating sytem.

Rich

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  3. sly87

sly87 Guest

Its good to know PG can protect against those things. It seems like winpatrol is more flexible so I'll probably use that instead of Ad-watch and then have PG as my primary application protection. Thanks for the help and the recommendations.

4. JT3

JT3 Guest

I think this paragraph is kind of misleading. ProcessGuard, stops *all* executables from starting that are not in the whitelist. not just ones that attempt to "change the startup section, file associates, etc or carry out dangerous actions.

If you want to stop these specific changes, you need a registry guard like Regdefend.

Ad-watch and it's counterpart Teatimer also have an advantage over generic blockers like processguard and Regdefend, in that they recognise known malware processes and can block them.

Products like ProcessGuard and Regdefend, dont have such databases, and relies entirely on the user to make the right decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.