If every OS was free, which would you run?

Discussion in 'polls' started by InfinityAz, Jul 14, 2007.

?

If every OS was free, which would you run?

1. Linux

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Mac OS X

20 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Windows

102 vote(s)
    69.4%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Windows XP Pro

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

LOL. Windows leads by a country mile. But this poll really is not fair - the subject of Wilders is mainly Windows-based software, so it is frequented by Windows users - in majority.
    I'd like to see a similar poll in a Linux/Mac based forum.

I had to vote for Windows, I'm a Windows user.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Good point, I really wonder, how would this poll result in a Linux forum and in a public forum as well, since the main reason to move to Linux is, because it is free.

4. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

XPproS2 game on......:D

Hence the ? IF. One can dream about stuff being free. The ? becomes pointless if no one answers.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  5. cortez

cortez Registered Member

XP hands down as it allows for easy multibooting using its own bootloader .

With multiple XPs (only four on this hard drive) I run numerous applications, browsers, antivirus, firewalls ect. without loosing any speed ( fussy same type applications in a separate XP as to insulate from crossfire and meltdowns).

Great for variety.

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Are the disks needed for re-install free also? Then I guess I vote for windows.

7. MarcDRomero

MarcDRomero Guest

I would continue to use the windows operating system.

8. Dust Terminal

Dust Terminal Registered Member

I have had bad luck with Linux. I am a simple guy and i mainly use the internet. That was the one thing that I couldnt get going with Ubuntu. I spent a couple of months but it was too frustrating to me.

That is something that I need to work out of the box. I dont want to have to start editing things with something that should be a given right off the bat. I have to say that i was impressed with the Beryl Videos and i was one of those guys that saw that video and then started looking at Linux.

I wouldnt mind taking a bit of time to learn linux but i would want to do that at my own pace. The internet is a must.

So my XP still stands as a champion.

Mac simply doesnt have enough programs. Everything is geared towards windows... ya know ;)

9. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Mac OS X.
    It'll run any desktop OS.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You might try PCLinuxOS 2007 next time, it's the one distro where pretty much everything works right out of the box. Highly recommended...

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I would definitely run windows 2003 if it were free.

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Paid of not - it doesn't matter , the results confirms it

I would use Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit) . I really love it although I am on XP because of hardware limitations

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Eventhough it´s not perfect, my favorite OS is still Windows XP Pro, it´s a nice and stable OS. I´ve not checked out Linux yet but Windows works just find, so I don´t see the need to. Also, Mac OS sucks bigtime IMO. Of course the fact that I´ve been working with Windows for over 10 years now, plays a big role why I don´t see my self switching to another OS. I hope Vista will become even better than XP in a couple of years.

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it makes no difference how many people reply because it doesn't change anything, windows and macs aren't free. closing your eyes and concentrating really hard and pretending windows is free in this case is pointless because it's not going to happen unless you keep your eyes closed and carry on dreaming, but that's pretty pointless too, i think so anyway. some OSes really are free, even while in a lucid state, i promise that's true! (hint: it's not windows)

it's not even clear what kind of free is being talked about, generally when you talk about free software it means something to do with the source being open so i suppose it's that and not money??

15. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Good point, iceni60.
    I was hesitant to answer the OP and post to this thread, because its intent is to pigenhole one operating system, and I ended up making the mistake of answering in terms of perceived overall capability instead of personal preference. When it all boils down, I don't have a "favorite" OS - there's simply too much changing at any given moment in technology, and I use each OS as a tool, nothing more. Trying to keep up with what's available is half the fun (or sometimes, half the frustration).
    I do prefer the concept of OSS, though - it's far more customizable, as the code is out there for all to see, use and modify. That it's free is just an inherent bonus.
    Learning OSes is similar to learning a new spoken and written language; it trains the mind to open up new avenues previously unknown, with tangible benefits IMO.
    It would also be interesting to see a comparison done with those who are multi-lingual that use multiple OSes to those who aren't and use one vendor or platform-specific operating system, and note any patterns.

16. progress

progress Guest

Windows :thumb:

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Certainly NOT B-ware. I rather enjoy the web "my way" nowadays.

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Windows XP - as simple as that. I think it's great, and only misses DX10 - pretty stupid really. :rolleyes:

19. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Multi boot them all, for different things.

20. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Very good question OP :thumb:

I think i'd still use Linux. I just love it now and can get my fave distros to perform and work as well as XP on this machine.

21. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    I voted other because I want all of them, Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and several others, but Windows XP Pro SP3 would still be my main.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Almost the same, exception for the secret sauce you're using in XP. What do you put in it to perform like that?

23. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I think the question should be "which would prefer if they were all equally supported i.e. every os had hardware drivers of the other and had just as a big software eco system as the other".

24. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

As for me,I am interested in Mac.If Mac OS is free,I will try Mac.

25. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

It's not what I put in Pedro, it's what I take out. :p

I like to strip XP back to bare minimal services and running processes and only install what I need. Has always ran beautifully on this old workhorse.
    But i've come to love FOSS and all it stands for. Never will this desktop see Windows again, unless they go open source of course! But I think the OP is refering to free as in no charge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.