IE9 Slow (and other issues) with Sandboxie!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cruise, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I've been running Sandboxie v3.74 (Free) for the past week and it's having a major impact on my browser's (IE9) performance. My home page (as well as most other webpages) takes much longer to open than without Sandboxie! My notebook has ample resources (see specs below), so I'm wondering if this IE9 slowdown is to be expected? o_O

Another annoying issue when using Sandboxie is that every so often (usually as soon as I close my sandboxed browser) I get a message box to the effect that IE9 has stopped working! :doubt:

I sure would appreciate any suggestions...

Cruise

HP dv6t-7000:
    i7 Quad
    750GB HDD
    32GB mSSD (cache)
    8GB RAM
    Win7 SP1 x64

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Hey Cruise,

My HP notebook is similar to yours (except I don't have the mSSD cache drive) and I ran into the very same IE9 issues when running Sandboxie 3.74. I would see delays in the range of 5 to 10 seconds in opening webpages when IE9 was sandboxed, whereas most webpages open in about 1 second when running IE9 without Sandboxie . I also often experienced that 'IE has stopped working' message box!

It was for those reasons that I (sadly) uninstalled Sandboxie, so you're not alone. :doubt:

TS

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again Cruise

Just thought I'd re-post that IE crash detail again, so maybe we can see if others are getting the same when they close sandboxed IE:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: iexplore.exe
    Application Version: 9.0.8112.16421
    Application Timestamp: 4d76255d
    Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
    Exception Code: 000006e6
    Exception Offset: 0000b727
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Can't understand it at all - crash seems to happen entirely randomly. I've had it 3 out of 5 IE closes tonight, after only having been to Wilders each session.

philby

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

TS & philby, thanks very much for your feedback re those Sandboxie issues. Now I really have reason to believe that there's some sort of compatibility issue between Sandboxie v3.74 (x64) and IE9.

In addition to the problems I already reported, upon closing my sandboxed IE9 a few minutes ago a message box popped-up to the effect that Sandboxie's Service has stopped working!

Cruise

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I rarely use IE at all, since, well, since forever. Can't help you much on that.

I would find it strange that Philby has 2 default installs, both with SBIE in use, and only one of them does this. To me, if this is consistent behaviour, then there is "something" causing this. You may never find it, but I would sleuth a little.

I would start by removing as many options of the sandbox as I could. Get rid of leading and trailing services to terminate, get rid of any direct access. Stop any auto-recovery options. Just let SBIE virtualize and thats it.

I would also have questions about IE, as I haven't seen this on any other browser that I can recall. Is UAC being used? Is IE in protected mode? Is DropRights being used? Are there any options (philby) that one IE has that the other does not have? Things of this nature is what I would do first, to see if there is a simple config issue going on.

I should also imagine that someone who is fairly well versed in SBIE and that does use IE that does not have these issues would be a good resource to compare config options against.

Sometimes you can chase things around forever and not find the answer. It might be best to let it go. Or, you might be like me and not let things like this win. Whichever way, I wish you luck. Let us know of any findings. The more things are documented, the better others can find answers in the future ;)

Sul.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You can revert back to early versions and see if it replicates the same issues.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think you guys having problems running IE9 sandboxed, should create a new sandbox, leave settings on default and run Internet Explorer in it to see if it still crashes. If it doesn't crash, then it is likely that a setting in your IE sandbox is causing the crash. If it does crash, then probably you have a conflict somewhere. Phillby, I think you running SBIE on its own, your issue probably is a setting in your IE9 sandbox.

For what is worth, in my W7 32Bits computer, IE9 runs sandboxed as well as out of the sandbox. No slow downs or crashes.

Bo

8. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Quick question. Are those experiencing problems using the experimental protection on x64? If so does toggling on or off depending on how it's set now change things? Also other security apps can cause things like this.

In general I don't use IE but on the odd occasion don't have these issues.

Tzuk and the guys over at his forum are very good at troubleshooting if you want to pop over there. Fixes for major apps like IE usually come fast once issues are identified.

9. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Chris, the Experimental Protection setting makes no difference insofar as the IE9 issues I'm encountering. Thanks anyway for the suggestion, it was worth a try.

Cruise

10. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Bo, am I able to create two separate sandboxes (using different settings) with the Free version?

Cruise

11. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Oh well as you say worth a try. As for the question about multiple sandboxes on free it's been a long time since I used free version but I'm sure you can. The limitation on free is they cannot run at the same time I think.

If not you can always save your current config file (Sandboxie.ini) to another location and bring it back in to restore your settings if you decide to try the default on your existing IE sandbox.

Hope you get it resolved.

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can create and use as many sandboxes as you want in the free version, just cant use them at the same time. Run IE9 in a new sandbox with default settings and see what happens.

I know you are not using many security programs so probably you have some setting messing things up in your default sandbox.

Bo

13. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again All

I have been trying to provoke the Kernelbase.dll error all day - but haven't been able to get it to happen once! As I mentioned, it's very intermittent...

Bo and Sully - thought I'd post my config. file in case there's anything obvious there I'm missing...

[GlobalSettings]

ActivationPrompt=n
    Template=AdobeAcrobatReader
    ExperimentalProtection64Bit=y

[UserSettings_11A60289]

SbieCtrl_UserName=philby
    SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
    SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1555555555
    SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=y
    SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
    SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
    SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
    SbieCtrl_HideMessage=2219,SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe [TBIRD]
    SbieCtrl_HideMessage=2219,SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe [IEAll]
    SbieCtrl_HideMessage=2214,bits
    SbieCtrl_HideMessage=2219,bits
    SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=C:\Users\Philby\Desktop
    SbieCtrl_SaveRecoverTargets=y
    SbieCtrl_ColWidthProcName=250
    SbieCtrl_ColWidthProcId=70
    SbieCtrl_ColWidthProcTitle=310
    SbieCtrl_ShouldDeleteNotify=n
    SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=550,236,660,337
    SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=IEAll,TBIRD

[IEAll]

ConfigLevel=7
    AutoRecover=y
    Template=Thunderbird
    Template=IExplore_Favorites_DirectAccess
    Template=IExplore_Force
    Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
    Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
    Template=LingerPrograms
    Template=BlockPorts
    RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
    Enabled=y
    BlockPort=445
    BlockPort=139
    BlockPort=138
    BlockPort=137
    LingerProcess=AcrobatInfo.exe
    LingerProcess=CS5ServiceManager.exe
    LingerProcess=wisptis.exe
    LingerProcess=RealSched.exe
    LingerProcess=RunDll32.exe
    LingerProcess=GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    LingerProcess=GoogleUpdate.exe
    LingerProcess=SynCor.exe
    LingerProcess=JUSched.exe
    LingerProcess=Adobe_Updater.exe
    LingerProcess=AcroRd32.exe
    LingerProcess=mscorsvw.exe
    OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,*\urlclassifier*.sqlite*
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.partial
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.ob!
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.crx
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.crdownload
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.dtapart
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.download
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.tmp
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.dlm
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.leechget
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.jc!
    AutoRecoverIgnore=.part
    LeaderProcess=iexplore.exe
    NeverDelete=n
    CopyLimitKb=9000000
    BoxNameTitle=n
    BorderColor=#A00000,off
    AutoDelete=y
    DropAdminRights=y

Drop Rights / Experimental Protection can indeed be ruled out as I have been seeing the IE crash with / without those settings applied. As for IE add-ons, I only have Flash/Shockwave and Java enabled in IE on both machines.

It has just occurred to me that this could, of course, be an IE rather than SB issue - though I'm reluctant to check this by running IE un-sandboxed as I NEVER do this...!

Curiously though, on my other machine (same 'raw' Win 7 + SB) I have a separate issue, which is that the auto-delete function always takes at least a minute to clear the container folder whereas on this machine it's always about 5 seconds, wherever I've browsed and whatever I've downloaded/recovered in both cases.

These are issues I can live with, however, as SB is truly excellent. It's just interesting that there are these very minor annoyances...

philby

14. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Breakthrough!

Following Chris' suggestion that I request some help on Sandboxie's Problem Reports Forum I did that here. A member over there named Aaron experienced similar issues with IE9 and he too had an HP notebook (as I do). He found that upon updating HP SimplePass (finger-print id interface) his issues seem to have been resolved.

So although I had not received an HP notice of any such update, I found, downloaded and installed the latest build of this utility. Now my homepage loads in half the time that it took before (with IE9 sandboxed)! It's too early to tell if the SimplePass update will cure the IE and Sandboxie crashes as well, but there is no doubt in my mind that HP SimplePass (and its IE9 add-on) conflicts with Sandboxie!

Cruise

PS. As Philby noted, changing Drop Rights, Experimental Protection, or other Sandboxie settings has no impact on this issue.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  15. The Shadow

Cruise,

Based on your findings I decided to give Sandboxie another try on my HP notebook - after of course downloading the latest version of SimplePass.

Just as you reported, installing that update made a dramatic improvement in the time it takes to open IE9 (sandboxed) to my homepage! With that 'fix' in place I will now continue to use Sandboxie. :thumb:

I fail to understand why HP hasn't offered the latest version of SimplePass as an update. In any case, your perseverence in this matter is truly appreciated.

TS

16. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Those crashes and error messages occurred again today while running sandboxed IE9....

'Sandboxie Service has stopped working' followed by 'Internet Explorer has stopped working'.

Cruise

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. The Shadow

Cruise, after several days of sandboxed IE9 running quite well I just experienced an IE9 crash (with the same errors posted above)! I'll report this problem in the Sandboxie Forum.

TS

18. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

@TS, I'm pretty sure there's still a conflict between HP SimplePass and Sandboxie (that seems to be the IE add-on unique to both of our situations). I already reported the problem in the Sandboxie forum and tzuk acknowledged that he has had other similar reports and will create a compatibility setting when he gets the time to do so.

@Bo, I tried your suggestion (new sandbox with default settings) and that also resulted in the same IE9 crash after a while!

Cruise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.