IE9 reaches 22%, Chrome overtakes Firefox on win7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't mean to imply that I hate IE, (I don't) just the reason IE has 22%. :D

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Indeed, but overall shares account for mobile hardware like smartphones, the fact that its increased on the latest OS is a good sign. Hopefully XP users that can't upgrade to Windows 7 right now are moving to Chrome to be more secure and one day we can be rid of IE6/7/8.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I was looking at Desktop stats only.
    http://marketshare.hitslink.com/bro...=1&qpcustomb=0&qptimeframe=M&qpsp=144&qpnp=10

I suspect if you include mobile devices the picture would be worse for IE due to lack of popularity in mobile devices.

Cheers, Nick

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Chrome Steals Second Continent From Firefox
    Do the weekend stats reflect what people prefer when they have choice?

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Interesting. I'm kinda sad to see Firefox slipping. But, I'm also trying to change my ways and not be a fanboy of any one product.

6. guest

guest Guest

Then you downloaded it manually.

Didn't you understand the context of the conversation I was having with twl845?

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It really doesn't matter. The fact that IE8 is installed by default will naturally encourage users to actually use it. Most older people I know are on IE unless a friend has switched them.

Why? Because it's there.

So whether these statistics are about installation or usage doesn't really matter - installation of IE definitely encourages usage.

8. guest

guest Guest

But not IE9 (the subject of the matter) - as it's not installed by default in any released OS.

9. Hungry Man

And sometimes... when you have a program installed... you update that program.

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's a good point, I'd run IE 9 on my notebook if I could. Unfortunately it wastes the sidebar & even some desktop icons. A problem that has been noticed by quite a few people still running Vista. At first I thought it was because my notebook is a bit underpowered, but I've seen it on more powerful machines. I could upgrade to Seven I suppose, but, apart from the fact it will cost money, upgrades can go wrong & be an arduous process plus I'd have to uninstall a lot of the programs I run on the notebook in the process. Although, the speed at which M$ knocks out new operating systems these days I may as well wait for Windows 8.

So, in the meantime, as GMail doesn't even recognise IE 8 these days I use Chrome. Well, that & Iron, Firefox & SeaMonkey ... just to be on the safe side. ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  11. guest

guest Guest

In the IE9 case, they are also picking it to browse - higher market share shows that.

So you have a combination of several kinds of user interaction that were already mentioned on my posts in this thread regarding IE9.

Therefore, there is no evidence for the usual anti-ms bs ("m$ is forcing it unfairly so it gets more market").

12. Hungry Man

I'm not saying MS is forcing anyone to use it or whatever.

My point is that if IE8 is installed on a computer by default a large portion of people will use it purely because it's there. And the fact that it's IE8 and not IE9 doesn't make any difference because people can still check for updates.

13. elapsed

They have chosen to update to IE9 and have chosen to use it to browse the web (for these statistics to be collected) so they are happy with their browser. I don't understand the issue here.

You're not seriously suggesting that 22% of Windows 7 users don't know other browsers exist right, what with all the Chrome advertising everywhere. Also considering the most popular search engine, google.com, has a Chrome ad.

14. Hungry Man

Whether they don't know it exists or they don't know why they should bother with it or they just don't know how to install it the end result is that IE is the easier choice because it's already there.

15. guest

guest Guest

You're missing the point. IE8 is the easiest choice, not IE9.

The amount of work one has to do to update from IE8 to IE9 is equivalent to the work one has to do in order to download Chrome from any web ad. (maybe bigger). Check again the passes in real world.

16. Hungry Man

lol no

Updating a browser you already have installed is easier than finding, choosing, installing, and getting used to an entirely new browser.

Updating to IE9 is easy. You can do it through the browser or through windows update.

17. guest

guest Guest

lol yes

Most people don't care about updating their software, so the first one ("finding") doesn't apply that much. Most people use Google search, and when they see the Chrome ad, they will know about Chrome instantly. Plus, Chrome comes bundled with lots of popular software.

As for "choosing", that's a complex one and it varies too much. But people who know they have choices, will not usually stay with this or that just because they don't want to spend the time to install another option.

As for "installing", the install time of IE9 and Chrome are pretty similar (in my experience).

As for "getting used", well, IE9 and Chrome both offer different experiences from the usual IE8 experience - with IE9 default GUI style being even more different.

Installing Chrome is even easier for non-geek people. Many just accept what they read in an omnipresent ad in Google search - for example.

18. Hungry Man

I can't imagine how you think that it's easier to install an entirely new program than it is to update an old one through an automated process.

But we obviously disagree. I just think it's clear that if IE8 is the default browser it's going to help IE9's stats.

19. guest

guest Guest

"You can't imagine" because you are not being specific.

In the specific case of IE 9 vs Chrome, that "rule" you have in your mind may not apply.

IMO, it helps less than having Chrome ad in all Google searches.

20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've got Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera and of course MSIE 8. I'm on XP Pro, with all latest updates, so can't use MSIE 9. All are used in Sandboxie. I don't go online without Sandboxie.

Chrome is fast, but after using it a while, it seems to begin slowing way down on me. If I empty history etc, doesn't make any difference. Closing it, emptying it and restarting it brings the speed back.

Firefox 7 tends to freeze on me occasionally.

Opera is fast and no problems of any kind. It just works.

MSIE 8. I can't remember the last time I used it.

For me, based on how they work on this computer, it's Opera hands down for me.

21. Daveski17

Surely IE9 is the default on Win 7 now? My (desktop) Win 7 PC had IE8 originally but I got IE9 with the update. I think IE9 64 bit is quite good. I still tend to use Firefox more on my desktop though.

22. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

In europe, where IE is not installed by default and users have to make a choice, the IE market share is way down compared to US

Goes to show what happens when market forces aren't manipulated and consumers are offered a choice at point of sale.

23. elapsed

Are you taking about PCs sold by PC stores? It's possible the image they preload on those PCs contains IE9. But the Windows 7 default is IE8, the Windows 8 default will be IE10, IE9 will never have a default.

24. Daveski17

Oh OK. I thought that if I went into a store this minute & walked out with a brand new PC it would have IE9 installed on it. I didn't realise it would have to be an update.

25. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Received a new Dell laptop 3 weeks ago with Win7 + IE8 installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.