IE8 timeout errors due to ESS?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by terradon, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terradon

terradon Registered Member

I thought I'd better check to make sure my website isn't badly mangled in IE8 so I let MS update install it yesterday. My site actually loaded fine, but pages on other sites, including MS would timeout, though miraculously appear immediately after hitting refresh.

Has anyone else installed IE8 on Vista32 SP1 with ESS4? MS, of course wants to blame problems on any and every security software or suite. I used Microsoft Fix it for KB 957700 to uninstall which cleaned out the IE8 registry entries and restored everything back to IE7. So far, so good, but I'm interested to see if anyone else experienced a lot of timeout errors.

Don

Vista Business SP1, Intel Q6600, 4GB RAM, ESS 4.0.417.0

2. LoPhatPhuud

LoPhatPhuud Spyware Fighter

I have IE8 install on Vista SP1 (x86) and have no problems with ESS4 for that program.

Turn on logging for all blocked connections (IDS and Advanced Options) and see if that give you any additional information.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Does this behavior persist when using the latest build of ESET Smart Security, v4.0.424.0? You may download and then install it here. Can you confirm if it's the personal firewall or scanning engine that's conflicting with Internet Explorer 8?

Regards,

Mark.

4. terradon

terradon Registered Member

I had checked the default logs and there was nothing listed.

I made the mistake (I now know) of letting Windows Update download and install IE8. Some MVP's think that can cause a corrupted installation if a security suite isn't disabled first. It makes sense, but who is going to shut off all protection while connected to the internet waiting for WU to download and install?

I was able to check my website for IE8 problems, but the timeouts drove me crazy and I uninstalled. Not trusting that the uninstall removed everything (there was still slowness in IE7 that hadn't been there), I did a system restore back to the restore point made when IE8 installed. That mucked up ESS which had to be uninstalled and then reinstalled.

I recently completed a virgin installation of Vista and SP1 on a new harddrive. Just my mission critical programs were installed. I really wanted to avoid anything that could muck up the setup. I hadn't found an imaging program that wasn't a massive installation, and don't have an image of that known good installation.

So, I'm not anxious to invite more trouble by installing IE8 any time soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.