IE8 download update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

As you probably read in my other thread, I ran a new IE in order to recover the little dog search in the start menu. All fine, but for some reason although I downloaded IE8, I find that I have IE7 installed. It all works great and I am perfectly satisfied even though I got 7 instead of 8.

The only problem is that every time I open my PC I get a Windows update icon on my tray. When clicking it, I am bombarded with MS wanting to update my IE7 to IE8. No sweat, I play ball, but the Download screen just stays there doing what it believes is right and never finishes. I have to crash it out to get rid of it. It would stay there for ever.

Then when I log on again, up comes the Windows icon and it all repeats.

The Download never finishes, I crash it out, then back it comes next time.
    The damned thing will not leave me alone.
    Screen shot :-

IE8 install - loading.JPG

Any clues ?

Task Manager says it is in a "Not Responding" mode every time I try it and I have to "End Task"
    John

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again John

How about running the auto-fixit from MS to reset Windows Update and then see what happens?

Worth a shot!

philby

3. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Ooops its XP
    Have you tried downloading IE8 on its own and then installing

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Hey Philby - IT WORKED !!

What a brilliant piece of advice you gave. How on Earth do you keep tabs on these tweaks and bits of sheer wisdom ?

Anyway, after playing your Auto-Fixit by MS, I loaded the IE8 package, followed the Wizard and WHOOSH ! it went like a dream.

I really don`t know how to thank you enough. It always amazes me how such piffling little matters can pose a mountain of unknown frustration and a complete clag-up to people like me who are not stupid, but totally blocked until somebody like you comes along with a life-belt.

AND to bore the pants off our Mods - where would users like me be without Wilders ?

Thank you
    John

DavidCo - please note. Problem solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.