IE10 64 bit online tracking protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jo3blac1, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

2. siljaline

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

When was that version released? Do you recall? Hopefully, they have fixed the issue after I contacted via email, or they were already aware of it and solved it. That's great news, then. :)

I have downloaded a new version of DNTme (2.2.9.217) and will be testing it with the TPLs and see if it does block it. Otherwise, an issue on Windows 7 32-bit and probably 64-bit as well.

4. m00nbl00d

Check this out. Two screenshots. One with DNTme enabled and another one with it disabled.

Attached Files:

5. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

Is there a way to prevent cross-site connections with internet explorer?

6. anon

anon Registered Member

I know that, but check the ads in whole webpage, not only on the upper part.

What I mean? Try on more test (whole webpage ads):

1) with DNTMe & TPL, both deactivated.
    2) with DNTMe activated & TPL deactivated.
    No differences as:
    3) with DNTMe deactivated & TPL activated.
    4) with DNTMe & TPL, both activated.
    Get it?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. anon

anon Registered Member

One day ago.

I had that version for a while, is out more than 10 days, but:
    dntp-light_test_v2-ie-2.2.9.217

Also the v2.2.8.122 released later on, therefore I suppose that 2.2.9.217 is a beta version.

8. m00nbl00d

The upper part was just an example. More ads are displayed in the software download page, for instance.

1) ALL ads appear, as one would expect.
    2) ALL ads appear, as one would expect. (I never mentioned DNTme was meant to block ads.)

3) TPL blocks all the ads that it can block.
    4) The ads that the TPL blocks in 3) aren't blocked anymore.

As I previously mentioned (in the first page of this thread), for some valid reason AVG made its Do-No-Track application detect if TPLs are enabled, and then disable itself if they are.

There's clearly some conflict, which has always happened either with stable or beta versions of DNTme. No difference, at all.

9. m00nbl00d

So, maybe the conflict I reported them got fixed with that version. It's funny because, when I download DNTme from their website, that was the version I got. I'll see if this time I'll download the stable version and test it. :)

-edit-

Nope. Same results. I'm finding quite odd that everything is fine on your side. I've tried other Windows 7 systems with IE10 with same results. Unfortunately, I cannot access any system running Windows 8.

Either something changed in the ways TPLs function in IE10 on Windows 8... or they (addons and TPLs) simply cannot function properly together.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

Correct
    Correct
    Correct
    Wrong. (at least in my pc),
    TPL blocks all the ads that it can block, except one (that which is shown in your first screenshot).

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Regarding the http://social.technet.microsoft.com...r/thread/aee91bb3-ec01-4279-bfdc-1c6112da596d comment applicable to *IE10*...

One can't tell from that whether he/she meant a) removing it then re-adding it will correct the situation and cause IE10 to properly update the TPL going forward, or b) if you want a newer version of the TPL you have to manually remove the old version and install the new version.

@siljaline: I noticed your reply "I have removed and replaced the TPL's I was using, this appears to be working.". Does that mean you actually observed IE10 subsequently and automatically updating the TPL as would be expected given its Expires value and Last Updated information?

12. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

13. anon

anon Registered Member

It's obvious:
    =>

14. doktornotor

Well that's obviously useless and no solution.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Is there anybody to say that is useful and a solution?
    ----------------------------------------------------------

16. siljaline

For those that are struggling with my follow-up posts, the TPL's need to be removed and replaced for IE 10 to refresh each, assuming the TPL in question is date stamped. (geddit)

This seems to be the only solution that has worked thus far.

No registry hacks, either :ouch:

Google TPL (rare) - EasyPrivacy & Fanboy = >
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/p3p/Default.html

Add additional DNT rule (look for it)
    http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/DoNotTrack/Default.html

I don't use Abine or TruseE for personal reasons (YMMV)
    http://www.iegallery.com/en-ca/trackingprotectionlists

17. doktornotor

You seriously mean every time you want to refresh them? I'll stick with the powershell script then.

No thanks to M$. :thumbd:

18. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Rightly so.

19. siljaline

There are some in this thread that are leading you down the wrong path.

Make informed decisions - Power Shell script hacks ? In order to correctly render a TPL, OMG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  20. siljaline

Thanks, Cudni :thumb: I did spend a lot of time and energy in this, these are my findings that I thought would benefit some of you. Those that choose cheap hacks, get exactly that, hacked.

21. m00nbl00d

This is quite odd. You mentioned you're using Fanboy Ultimate TPL, which I'm also using, and this one blocks the upper ad in Softpedia's website. It just won't block it (and others) when DNTme is enabled.

So, how come does the same TPL block the upper ad, shown in my screenshot, in my system, but not in yours? Doesn't make any sense... The TPL is the same. :doubt:

Anyway, I'm done pursuing this. We're giving it more focus than it deserves it. lol

22. m00nbl00d

May I ask you if you got a better idea than a PowerShell/other script to automatically update the TPLs? o_O If you don't, then for those who do want to use the TPLs and not manually update them, or removed and re-add, then the scripts are the best choice, at least until Microsoft solves this mess, if it will ever solve it. More than half a year is more than time to solve something like this, IMHO.

-edit-

Granted, this is something that won't work for most IE users, because they probably won't even notice it, and simply because some other person was the one enabling TPLs. Ouch...

23. TheWindBringeth

I too hope there is some kind of language barrier or imprecision going on here, because if that is what is meant it is a work around rather than solution. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone saying "yes, the act of removing then reinstalling the TPL once will cause IE10 to automatically update the TPL in the future".

24. anon

anon Registered Member

No, read again =>
    4) with DNTMe & TPL, both activated.
    =>
    TPL blocks all the ads that it can block, except one (that which is shown in your first screenshot).

25. TheWindBringeth

Regarding a custom updater approach, two potential gotchas (which some here likely realize but others may not) would be:

1) IE10 doesn't, when it starts, fully reload the TPL from its normal local storage location. Perhaps due to "compilation" and/or caching. So one would have to look/test for that.

2) People implementing solutions that don't handle Expires correctly. The update tool should read the Expires value and honor it via remembering the last update.

If there is some way to "kick" IE10 into working correctly and doing the automatic updates, that's the way to go. If there isn't, then perhaps someone should write a good quality, amply tested, updater and installer for said... open source, open review of course.. and see if one of the TPL publishers will host it for download. One thing that makes me scratch my head about this situation is not having already heard of exactly that type of thing. You'd expect a TPL maintainer to be testing things, to have discovered such an issue early, and to have already rolled their own updater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.