IE Not Loading Aftr Router Connect

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by daapower, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daapower

daapower Registered Member

This might be a long post..but I really need some help. Thanks!
    First I want to give you a little background of my home network setup. It consists of 4 computers that are connected to a Linksys wireless router using CAT wires. 2 laptops that are wirelessly connected. I didn't setup a WEP because, and I know I should've.

My Problem:
    2 days ago, one of my systems started to have problems with I.E. It would get a page not found and the DHCP wouldn't work correctly and the system would not be able to see any computers on the network.

Yesterday, when I got home from work I noticed that all the systems that were on was having the same issue so I went to a system that was off to see if the problem existed there. I turned on the system and the internet was working fine. After a couple of minutes I open another IE window and the page won't load and at the status bar it tries to load http://www.trendmicro.com and keeps on blinking as if it was loading a bunch of files. So I close that window and try IE again..and lo and behold it gives me a page not found and I can't see the network anymore.

My next step in trying to solve the issue was formatting one of the laptops to see if it helped. I installed NAV2002 and connected the laptop directly into the cable modem in order to download updates for NAV2002. So, while I'm connected directly with the cable modem I can surf without any problems. I then want to try connecting the modem into the router and connect the laptop into the router to see what happens. Fearing that the other computers connected to the router might have the virus, I disconnected all the other CAT cables. I plugged the laptop into the router and when i launched IE..the browser once again was trying to load the trendmicro site and page not found error occured again. But, since I downloaded the latest patch for NAV I figured whatever was wrong it would probably pick it up. So I do the scan and NAV doesn't pick up a thing. Then, I disconnect the system from the router and plug it directly into the modem and there is still nothing. Unfortunately, since the virus blocks out my network..I can't do online scans and updates.

Now my question is..what is going on. Is my router infected with a virus? And if so, how do I resolve this.

PLEASE HELP!! Thanks o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since you can't get through your router, did you do a reset of the router?

Have you installed any new firmware on your router?

Why do you think you have a virus?

3. daapower

Since you can't get through your router, did you do a reset of the router?
    I hit the reset button on the back of the router, but when I checked the router settings through http://192.168.1.1 the settings were still the same. This leads me to believe that maybe I didn't reset it correctly.

Have you installed any new firmware on your router?
    I had updated the Linksys router firmware about 4 months ago via the Linksys site.

Why do you think you have a virus?
    I'm not sure if I have a virus or not and I was hoping someone on this board would be able to give me pointers on where to look. I asked my sister to go buy another router and when I get home, I am going to try using the new router to see if everything is A-OK. I just wanted to know if these were symptons of a virus. Thanks for the speedy reply.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is strange that you are having problems getting through the router. If you can get to the net using just your modem, then something is wrong with the router. Connection, general failure, etc. Since you have been using the firmware for four months, I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

You do have a software firewall enabled, correct? If so, your software firewall isn't preventing you from getting to your router is it?

Linksys has a forum. Forum

5. daapower

See, the thing is I can get online if the modem is connected directly to the modem. But once I connect the computer to the router I can't even get online by connecting directly with the modem. This leads me to believe that the router somehow changed settings on my system.

The only firewall I have would be the one built in directly in the router.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Your router won't change your settings on your system. You have to do that.

You should enable a software firewall also. If not, you COULD get a virus if you are not using your router.

What antivirus do you use? Have you scanned your system?

A thread to look at. Linksys

7. daapower

I use NAV2002 with updated up to yesterday.

I took a look at that thread and I'm sure the connections are correct. I'm going to try using a different router to see if that'll fix things. Thanks!

8. daapower

Problem is still occuring. I sent this note to Linksys --

Problem: Everytime I plug a computer into my wireless router, the system is no longer able to see any computers on the network and is not able to go onto the internet. Also, after connecting a system to the router, the system is no longer able to connect to the internet even when directly connected to the cable modem. I've also noticed a strange peculiarity when I open Internet Explorer. It tries to load http://www.trendmicro.com/404.asp?404;<whatever my homepage is set to>. That address is present in the address bar and in the status area. That address constantly blinks in the IE status area as if it was loading it over and over again.

Steps I've taken to Diagnose the Problem:

Step A
    1.) Formatting the system
    2.) Install WinXP Pro
    3.) Install Norton Anti-Virus 2002 and connecting directly into the cable modem to download the latest updates. Internet works fine at this point when the system is plugged directly into the modem.
    4.) I Bought a brand new Linksys BEFW11S4 and connected the Cable Modem into the WAN and the computer to it. It works fine.
    5.) Now, I plug the computer and the modem into my old router (the one having the problem). I immediately go to the router administration and turn off WEP. (I have to do this at this point before the problem occurs because once the problem starts to happen, I won't be able to see the router)
    6.) I do a Norton Anti-Virus scan and no viruses are found.

Step B
    Same procedure as above, but installed MCAFEE Antivirus with the latest updates and no viruses are found.

I think I can assume that the problem scope is somewhere within the router. I need help diagnosing what exactly it is and how can the router change settings on my system. Thank You

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nothing is ever easy. Here is another link

You might want to look at the hijack forum faq too just in case.

10. daapower

Yea, I also tried uninstalling the whole network card and reinstalling (which should cover reinstalling the tcp/ip component) and it still didn't work. It looks like I might have to go around formatting all my systems :( but if I get a solutions..I'll post it here.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes, post your solution. I am curious to know the problem.

More to look at here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear daapower, there shouldn't be any virus in your Router. i don't know about this router but a Firmware has a checksum and its checked before flashing. can you access the console of your Router through Hyperterminal or something? you can run some diagnostics also make sure you're not using any access-lists.

13. daapower

I think I resolved the issue. I did a hard reset on the router and 3 of my systems are back up and 2 are still down. At this point, I believe it is a network setup issue with the 2 systems that aren't working. They are both connected with cat5 cables to the router and running WinXP PRO. I've tried running the home network wizard, disable and reenable the card, uninstalling/reinstalling the card, using the WinXP restore utility to a date where the system was working.

When I get home I'm going to try resetting the TCP/IP stack and see if that works for the other 2 systems. Thanks for all your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.