IE History tracks all opened files- A Trojan?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by mr91506, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr91506

mr91506 Registered Member

Why does Internet Explorer "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Local Settings\History\Today\My Computer"
    contain Internet Shortcut links to today's opened Word documents and text files as well as links to Outlook's Inbox and Contacts folders.

Why are the documents and text files saved as Internet Shortcuts and not .doc or .txt files as in the MRU's.

A running account of my daily work in progress is saved in Internet Explorer, apparently available to a hacker.

Is this a normal windows function or is someone other than MS watching?

Thanks for looking at this.

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

That's not IE,it's just your PC keeping track of your doing. Another one of Bill Gates great ideas. :thumbd:
    I have a batch file i run every week (at least) to clear all that sort of junk.

But if your worried about that,download 'User Assist Spy' from here:-

http://www.utdallas.edu/~jeremy.bryan.smith/

It's about half way down the page. Two keys in the registry have logged everything you've ever done on your PC since you first installed Windows.

3. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Tonyjl
    Will this program work on IE7-RC1.
    Badcompany.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

CCleaner, CleanCache and MRUBlaster are just a few of the utilities that can remove UserAssist entries - if you want them to.

Generally you need to configure cleaners for this task because you lose Start menu icons (unless they are pinned) and a lot of users don't like that happening!

5. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi BC.

It doesn't use IE,it's just an executable that reads a couple keys in the registry. The two keys i'm refering to are in jibberish so need decoding,this tool does that for you,it also enables you to either allow the logging to continue,but unecrypted,or you can disable logging altogether. I opted to stop the logging coz it's not actually used/needed for anything,plus it stops your registry getting bloated and slowing your PC down.

That's why i wrote my own scripts to do all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.