IE downloading zip files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Metallica, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metallica

Metallica Guest

I hope this is the right section. I visit a few sites where I have to use IE6 because Opera will not display them properly. I noticed on one of them that zip files were being downloaded into my Temp Inet files.
    It is not a site worth recommending ;) so I will not post the link, but I would like to know how I can stop this from happening.
    Any help appreciated, but please keep in mind that I am not very experienced with IE.

2. root

root Registered Member

That's the default folder for IE downloads, I believe.
    When you click a file to download, you get a popup box that gives you the option of changing the location, file name and type. Before you click ok, check the indicated directory up top of the box and change it if necessary.

3. Metallica

Metallica Guest

I am sorry if I was unclear. Root, thanks for helping, but although these zipfiles are offered for download on that site, I never clicked them.
    They are just in that folder along with the .jpg etc. from the same site.

4. Phil

Phil Registered Member

That's pretty "iffy" behaviour for a web site. First, I would not GO there any more. :D

Second, you can stop this. It is done by scripting. You can put the site in your "Restricted Zone" or do what I do. This is from memory 'cause I'm not running IE right now, but go to Tools -> Options -> Security and click on "Custom". You will see a scroll list. Now, *I* would disable ANYTHING ActiveX. Some people find that too restrictive. Scroll down a bit more and disable File Download. You will have to reset that when you want to dl any file. Scroll down close to the bottom and disable Scripting. You will have to reset that for some sites to display properly. Yeah, I know all this is a PITA but it's the only way to browse safely with IE.

You COULD just download the Phoenix browser and not worry about all that insecure IE stuff. :D :D

Phil

5. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Thank you Phil. I will try to figure out these Security settings. Do you think Phoenix will do a better job at displaying these websites? Like I said, I normally use Opera and I like that.

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

7. Phil

Phil Registered Member

That's quite possible. I have never used Opera but some people I know that use both say Phoenix will display some sites Opera has trouble with -- it would be worth a try because Phoenis is easy to install and *very* easy to get off your system if you don't like it. Release .05 is VERY stable on my XP and it works great.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/phoenix-release-notes.html

Oh, and you're welcome. :)

Phil

8. Metallica

Metallica Guest

Thanks Phil. That seems to have done the trick :D I will give Phoenix a try. Thanks for that tip as well.

Pieter. About that link you posted: it makes you wonder why people use IE at all :rolleyes:

9. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I'm glad that worked for you. Did you take a peek in that zip file? I would be *very* curious what had downloaded. Some web sites have a nasty habit of installing little -- ahem -- helper apps if you have IE scripting and download enabled.

Phil

10. Metallica

Metallica Guest

No problem there Phil. It was what they were offering for download. I just did not need all of them in my Temp Inet files and I did not like the idea of IE downloading stuff I never asked for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.