Identifying 'anonymous' email authors

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Identifying 'anonymous' email authors.

-- Tom

2. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Ha ha ha ha ha.

My first good laugh of the day.

Thank you for that. 80 to 90% accuracy as long as they have the correct IP address, with no mention of proxies or Tor. Well I guess you have to learn to roll over before you can crawl. :D

3. nix

nix Registered Member

And no linguist :oops:. At least I hope not. Because that study's a disgrace.

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

From the article:

So, this guy with a PhD actually thinks this is somehow new? This type of analysis has been going on long before the Internet. Indeed, it was what lead to the apprehension of the Unabomber (his brother recognized his writing style, grammar, idioms and expressions etc.). I was expecting this to be some novel method of cracking remailers or proxies.

Moreover, I am no lawyer, but I am skeptical this would be acceptable evidence in a court of law. Merely saying "this e-mail has the same misspellings present in other e-mails written by the suspect, therefore this e-mail must have also been written by said suspect." I don't think that will fly very well with jurors. It might be helpful for Police in investigations, but using this as evidence in itself is rather shaky (much like a polygraph, for instance).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.