Icon Cache: RefreshEm

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

RefreshEm repaires the Windows Icon Cache.

The link:
    http://camtech2000.com/Pages/Useful.html

Quote from that site:

You may have noticed that sometimes the Desktop and Windows Explorer start to display the wrong Icons for some file types. Running RefreshEm when they do repairs the Windows Icon Cache so that the proper ones are immediately displayed. It does not stay in memory, immediately terminates after using it and has no visible Window. Just click or double click the Icon each time you want to refresh the icons.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Quote from the Helpfile (which is actually very short, so easy is this program!
    [hr]
    You may have noticed that sometimes the Desktop and Windows Explorer start to display the wrong Icons for some file types. Running RefreshEm when they do repairs the Windows Icon Cache so that the proper ones are immediately displayed. It does not stay in memory, immediately terminates after using it and has no visible Window. Just click or double click the Icon each time you want to refresh the icons.

Here's a tip:
    During installation an Icon for the program was placed on the Desktop. It you move or copy it to the Quick Launch Toolbar (next to the Start Button) it will always be available for single click use even when you have Windows Explorer open to a folder.
    RefreshEm requires you have the VB6 Runtime Library installed on your computer. It was intentionally left out of this package as the majority of computers already have it and to keep the file size at a minimum. If you get an error message when you first try to run the program that's similar to "A required file, Msvbvm60.dll was not found" then you need this file. The file will always be available free at my web site on the downloads page as 'VB6 Runtime Library'. It comes in an install package that will put the file where it's needed. After installing , the program will run correctly.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Well, not many comments on this free utility as of yet...

Actually I had to repair my Icon Cache today cause some icons were not the right ones. So I did use it.
    Download it, unzip it, install it, run it.
    Man, this is a beauty; I would give it immediatelly 5 stars!
    Something for the free-tools page.

(yes, I know: Tony posted a way to do it yourself; but this utility is sooooo easy to use ;)).

4. Scotcov

Scotcov Guest

I'll comment FanJ. ;)
    I just saw the post about ten minutes ago, downloaded it, and used it. It works!

Thanks.
    Scotcov

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Heya Scotcov,

Nice utility, isn't it?

Cheers, Jan.

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i like it sweet and to the point lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.