I would like to use Shadowuser Pro is there a way to add on strength?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pidbo, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I would like to use Shadowuser Pro but I hear that it is not safe from some attacks...is there any other software that I could add to strengthen it?
    I will use Sandboxie, Malwarebytes (on demand) and Avast pro (running) alongside it.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Personally, I would not use Shadowuser or Shadowsurfer, since it supports only as late as XP - no Vista or Win7 support. It's actually kind of a joke that they want $$ for products that are no longer developed, especially for the newer Windows O/S".

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hello,

just to clarify you can't actually purchase the 'shadow-mode' software (Shadow- User, Surfer and Server) any more although they do remain on the site for download.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Unfortunately nothing can be considered 100% safe :( I use ShadowDefender which you might want to consider, & have run all sorts of malware etc on it with NO harm ;) not that i'd recommend others to do that !

I've also installed the free MBRguard by Blue Ridge Networks - http://www.blueridgenetworks.com/support/mbguard/mbguard.php - as a precaution :thumb:

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Then what about the info in the screenshot?

BTW, if you want to isolate your web-facing apps, I'd use Sandboxie without reserve. Just my opinion.

Attached Files:

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I can also confirm ShadowUser Pro is no longer available on their website:

http://www.storagecraft.com/

I suppose that some webpages may not have been amended accordingly, although on their website it is no longer mentioned. I have it on one of my laptops and works perfectly well (5+ years). Unfortunately Sandboxie doesn't seem to work when ShadowUser is on shadow mode (Windows Home SP3). Not a big deal for me as I use Sandboxie or ShadowUser separately (Sandboxie most of the time, and ShadowUser to test things out).

It would be a rare occurrence to run into one these vulnerabilities, and most free antivirus block them. I go along with CloneRanger, why not use Shadow Defender (it doesn't allow persistent reboots in shadow mode though) which is still officially available and installs with any Windows.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Am I missing something?? Top of main web page click: Store--> Categories-->Shadowmode Security--> at right they have "Buy Now" links for Shadowsurfer 2.5, Shadowuser Pro 2.5 and Shadowserver 2.5. Click on any of the "Buy Now" buttons and it proceeds further with Shopping cart contents, SHU # and unit prices.

It looks to me they're offering these products for sale.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You're right, one has to go to page 7 out of 8 to find it. It is very odd as the program is not advertised on the main page.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, I have it from a reliable source at StorageCraft that they aren't (supposedly) available, perhaps Osaban is right about update and trying to purchase would come to nothing, or luckily a license :) I still rate ShadowUser and would use it tomorrow if it was still worked on in fact ShadowServer I still use.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I don't see the "luck" in purchasing a license for a product no longer developed for many months already :doubt: If in fact they aren't available, then perhaps Storagecraft should remove the purchase links from their web page.

Yeah, I'm sure they're good products, just as their ShadowProtect product is. Admittedly, I'm a little bitter with their licensing scam scheme, at least regarding ShadowProtect. Even deactivating the product on one pc to re-install it on another, decrements the available reactivations until you run out, and you're sh#! out of luck. Even purchasing an upgrade, as I did for $40, does not afford one any additional reactivations. They want $90 now (was $80) for it and unless you purchase an additional maintenance agreement, you're stuck with only a few available reactivations. Nobody else as far as I'm aware does this.

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I have one other method for web browsing, though. Chromium with an explicit Low IL (Obviously, one would need to be using either Windows Vista or Windows 7), and no chance for it to download anything, at all. ;) Bye-bye drive-by downloads, exploits... :D

For the rest, as Adobe Reader, etc., I've come across RunInsideLimitedJob (http://blog.didierstevens.com/2010/09/13/runinsidelimitedjob/). It's a way better alternative for some folks like family members. I must say that I'm also considering using it and ditch Sandboxie for good, because I'm with version 3.46 still, due to not needing to call-out to re-activate.

This is not to say Sandboxie is not a viable solution; it is, and I'm well aware if that, but there comes a time one needs a change of air, I guess. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.