I need you opinion about my 'Offline-Updating' Case

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albaraha, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albaraha

Albaraha Registered Member

I wanna get a powerful and lightweight antivirus like NOD32 but with the ability to update offline easily.
    Actually what I have is a not-connected-to-the-internet LAN, that has a server and clients.
    I wanna download the update file from another PC (which is outside of this LAN and is connected to the internet of course), then apply the updates centerally, i.e., from the server.

My current choice is to use both:
    1. Norton Antivirus 2004 and I download the update file regularly.
    2. And NetOp software (since I'm in a school and this LAN contains: server for the teacher, and clients for the students) to copy the extracted files to the Norton's update directory on the clients.

I've tried Kaspersky on that LAN, but kaspersky offline update needs to download many files (like weekly, monthly and so on which is a tedious process if you compare it with Norton's one file that I can extract it and distribute it to the clients update folder).

You know that the clients are crawling since of Norton Antivirus.

What's your suggestion?

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Personally I would go with Symantec AV 9, McAfee 8.0i, Command, those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that allow updating from a non online type situation. I can guarantee there is more out there, what you want to look for is a enterprise type AV, these allow updating from a centralized server and not the internet. IMO home editions like NAV, are not suited well for this task at all. I am sure some of the NOD guys can give you more info on that piece of saftware as I thought I came across it somewhere.
    This situation is a little different but I am sure someone here can help you out.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

You could still use NOD32 - and this could save you updating each machine on the non-internet connected network too!

Here is how I would tackle the problem:

Run NOD32 and on the machine you do have connected to the internet, run an admin version with the local mirror enabled.

On the remote network without internet access, have all the local machines updating from a single local machine ALSO running an update mirror.

Copy the mirror folders from one machine to another using USB thumb drive or similar. Within the hour, all machine on the remote network will update AUTOMATICALLY from their local mirror which you just updated.

I'd at least try and see if it's feasible - although I have no reason to think it isn't.

hth

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.