I need a version of SETPASS.NLM that will work with Netware 3.11

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Close_Hauled, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I am looking for a clean version of SETPASS.NLM for 3.11. My company has an OLD Compaq 386/33 server that needs to be replaced. I do not have the supervisor password.

I was able to find a version here, but it will not run:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bit/1481/setpass.html

I have found versions on other sites, but I do not trust them. If anyone knows where I can find one, that would be great!

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. Close_Hauled

Thanks. I tried that version of SETPASS and 3.11 would not load it due to it's version number.

I was able to find a user who was a Supervisor equivelent and I was able to reset the password.

Now that I have the Supervisor password, I can now replicate the accounts and rights on the new server. I cannot switch to a new OS version because this is a database server using and old version (v5) of BTRIEVE. It is a very specialized app that was custom made for this task.

4. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

We're also still using a NetWare 3.12 server with Btrieve. For getting access to NetWare take a look at Nomad Mobile Research Centre.

I wonder what hardware you're using to install NetWare on. In case our old server dies I was looking for a spare. I couldn't find any certified hardware (only Dell 2600 which still was NT4 compatible) and bought a second hand Compaq server that is NetWare 3.x certified. We also had to buy a second hand DLT streamer, because new streamers were not certified by the backup software we're using on the NetWare server.

NetWare 3.11 is not Y2K compliant. We're using NetWare 3.12 with all the patches and updates to make it NetWare 3.2 compatible. NetWare 3.2 is the latest release which is Y2K compliant. I don't know what the issues are if you're not Y2K compliant, but if you're running NetWare 3.11 without any issues these should be minor. Anyway, it's too long ago to remember all the details :D

5. Close_Hauled

These systems were so ancient. They have now been replaced with new Dells. We still are not Y2K compliant on the hadware, but the application is.

We were very lucky to be able to get these systems back up and running. Our PCs have 3C905C cards built in and the drivers for those are too new for Netware 3.11. We had some 3C905 and 3C905Bs laying around and tried those. The Bs were also too new. We had only one diskette with the correct version of the driver for the 3C905.

I was able to transfer the old bindery over to a newly installed system and got everything up and running. Not a simple task when you have forgotten all that stuff. "Ah, ya. That's right." was repeated a lot.

Even still, I miss the simplicity of Netware 3.x. I ghosted the drive and I can now move the server to any PC with a 3C905 and an IDE hard drive. Try doing that with Unix, Windows, or Linux without having to install new drivers everytime you do it.

6. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

Hi,

It took a while to reply, because I was busy integrating the network from one of our divisions to our new corporate network.

Ok, I've archived old 3COM driver diskettes and might also have them lying around. We went from 3c5x9 to 3c59x and standardized on 3c905c on our desktops. In the server it's all compaq NIC's (with Intel or AMD).

I remember that's why I created bindery backups. Those were easy to recover :D

Or just boot the server to the level you want it to and manualy load NIC drivers from a floppy disk :D To be honest in the past I had a lot of fun playing around with RedHat 4.x kernels. I would strip them from everything not essential and then they would boot of everything. Recently read an article that the Dutch broadcasting association is using a similar procedure for their servers: put as much 500 GB disk in them as they can hold and standardize on customized kernels with everything removed except the standard hardware drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.