I need a good, free HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jetfighter, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetfighter

jetfighter Registered Member

hi, i am new to this forum. it's good to know that there are so many experienced people here that i can learn from. does anybody know of a good free hips that i can use? i am using windows xp on a system that is capable of running most things. the most important features to me are the blocking of rootkits and keyloggers. aside from that, all i ask is the ability to disable specific parts of the program to make it less noisy. for example, suppose i wanted to allow the execution of any program. if i uncheck a box somewhere then all programs will execute without asking. if i'm missing something important like access to physical memory or preventing the reading of other processes etc etc, i'm taking suggestions, but please know that i am still inexperienced and learning so excuse my ignorance because you may know a lot more than me :D. i've actually tried a few hips myself but my experiences are out of date and limited. here are some of the ones i've tried:

antihook 2.6: very noisy and caused lots of problems with windows.

processguard free: this free version did not protect from driver loading which i think is one way rootkits can get onto a system. besides i think diamondcs has ceased development of their products now?

SSM free (latest version): this one does not block driver installation. i tested this by installing hardware drivers and they were not blocked. besides the free version is always based on obsolete versions of the commercial product. this might prove to be its achilles's heel against some new attack.

prevx: i don't even think this is a behavioral blocking based hips. it just seems to detect what the community knows to be malware. true more settings are available in advanced modes but i'm not particularly fond of this one, at least as a primary HIPs.

eqsecure: it is very hard to get support with this one because the site is in chinese, though its features do seem promising. if only more english documentation was available.

winpooch: this one does not seem to stop drivers.

i may have tried more, but i can't seem to recall any at the moment. so there you have it..any completely free hips or even a commercial one that has a free version would work for me, as long as it's got the right features. any suggestions?

2. baerzake

baerzake Registered Member

COMODO V3:-*

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ProSecurity

4. RedZero

RedZero Registered Member

When testing, what method did you use to install these drivers?

Just remember that most of the time a rogue application will need to execute in order to install drivers.

Also, Winpooch can be configured to monitor almost anything, even driver installs. It may not protect itself very well, but it adds an excellent layer of security when configured correctly.

Did you take a look at: http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_behavior_blockers

5. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

Neoava Guard
    a different HIPS with its own features

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

HI,

Give ThreatFire a try, combine this with returnil or safespace personal for dodgy browsing and you have adequate protecton.

Regards

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Another recommendation of DSA here.
    It's just as Bellgamin says it is.

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

If you want a quite HIPS you might consider a policy based HIPS.
    GeSWall and DefenseWall are both excellent. IMO.
    DefenceWall is paid only but GeSWall has a paid and a free version.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Welcome to Wilder's jetfighter :)

I think your views are pretty much on target. I recently migrated ALL of my systems to "free" EQSecure 3.41 for a single HIPS shield. It's full-featured, very light-weight and surprisingly strong w/ file protections/registry(drivers)/program. It's as tight a HIPS as i seen since SSM first came out IMO.

What surprises me most is that it doesn't hook 200+ entries in the SSDT table like SSM but protects very well in most respects & even better in my experience since changing over to it.

I agree it's lacking in ENGLISH support docs and would benefit users with a help file even if in brief, but with that limitation (temporarily?) it's one well worth accepting in exchange for EQS's protection as i see it.

Best of Luck in your Decision.

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

How about Online Armor Free!

dja2k

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'll tell you another preventitive feature that EQSecure offers that SSM always wasted keystrokes and effort for a user to correct.

I'm often multi-tasking like most of you, if you accidently click on a wrong program which you didn't intend to open and you selected NO in SSM, a lotta times you had to open up the program settings (application rules) and reset the rule for that program back to open or at the very least on the next program you always had to tick the radio button back.

In EQS, it's Very Forgiving and even helps a user in mistakes like that. When you click a program unintentionally you simply press "Block" on it's alert box and click OK to the ensuing Windows box, and go right on to what you wanted to do in the first place. The other program mistakingly open remains available without a user either having to reset it's permissions again or re-tick the radio button in the alert rule settings unlike SSM.

I can't count the times i done this before and still do but for EQS it's no problem at all.

13. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Pro Security, one of the best rounded HIPS.

15. faenil

faenil Registered Member

Online armor all the way ^^

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Couldn't put it better myself! ;)

dja2k

17. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Just curious if Online Armor Free has the same HIPS protection as the Full Version does? I thought I read that Mike Nash said it did.

18. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

OA free as the same HIPS protection level as OA paid

MaB

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks.

20. Jeleal

Jeleal Former Poster

I have been trialing the Webroot Firewall and it has the HIPS program Dynamic Security Agent in it, and I had previously been using Online Armor Free. I liked the simple and easy use of OA Free and although Webroot isn't that difficult to use, it does seem to be more advanced. Since I don't really need anything like that. I was thinking of going back to OA Free, and was wondering how good of a HIPS protection it provides.

21. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hey dja2k

I see although your an OnLine Armor team member you've listed ProSecurity alongside OLA AV+.

What benefit do you see in supplementing OLA with ProSec?

22. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

In my opinion from using both OA and WDF, they both let you use as advanced or as simply as you want. WDF's HIPS protection is off by default but it does have a learning-mode. OA's HIPS are on by default but may inquire as to the unknown apps. Both are very user-friendly. Both developers post here. Both would be rated as very secure. So really, it boils down to which works better on your pc, and which you feel more comfortable with. You can't fail with either one IMHO. I've tested both and it's a tough decision. They are both "tops" in the FW/HIPS market, free and pay. The difference may be what their "pay-versions" offer, if you're so inclined...

23. tlu

tlu Guest

One of the best and completely free HIPS is using a limited user account :-*

24. sunking

sunking Registered Member

I wouldn't say it has the same protection, since according to their own comparison it doesn't support detection of certain keylogging mechanisms (kernel, other?), while the full version does.
    http://tallemu.com/comparisons.html

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

EQSecurity 3.4 is tight a HIPS as you want. It covers file protections/registry associations/program rights etc. It's very light but M I G H T Y ! in it's capability to prevent intrusions of most any sort. A good, free HIPS and then some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.