I have lost my windows 98 cd key

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Any ideas fellas?
    I have created a nice little 4Gb Virtual Machine with 256Mb RAM and started installing my Win 98 in there (I can play old games again!!!), but then I realized I have lost my CD key. Or at least I cannot find it. So my Virtual Machine is stuck at the product key ...
    Would Microsoft still support this issue? It would sound a bit ... curious if I called and claimed I had an original CD (which I do), but no key ...

BTW, if you need a link for easy creation of blank VMs for installation of difference softwares, tell me, I'll post cute links!

Mrk

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

3. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Hi Mrkvonic

Okay here we go:-

First the StevieO approach - great & there are several other ways of pulling the key out of the registry assuming you have an installed version somewhere.

If you don't have it installed and assuming you want to use the genuine key then they are usually found either on the original CD case or sometimes on the side of the machine on which it was installed.

If you don't have an installed copy to pull the key off & you have checked those places without luck - then this is possibly the site you are looking for:-

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware

See the link at the bottom where it says

Cheers
    eyes-open

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you have still Windows installed, this freeware, called SIW will tell you which windows key you have.
    Download it from here :
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/gtopala/siw_download.html
    Install it and look under Software ---> Secrets and the next screen will show your CD key.
    I've tested this personally and it works.

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I don't have a Win98 installed since about 2002, and I wanted to install it again so I could have fun again with my old games... I have the original CD, but I can't find the key :(
    I'll try the links you provided, thanks.
    Mrk

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In that case my solution won't work, try the others LOL.

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Guys, thank you all for your help, in posts or pms.
    I eventually did find my key! Hooah!
    I did not succeed in configuring a good 98 vm, but I managed to configure an xp machine (no service packs), which does not restrict the access to hardware as notoriously as SP2, so I'm back on the track with the old games.
    That's the way to go - VM for restoring nostalgia.
    For anyone interested, the simplest way to create vm machines and partitions:
    http://www.skrodahl.net/easyvmx/
    Thank you all once again.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.