I fall in love with Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I wish I had tried it on my system before.I was afraid to use it but now I see that it is not hard to use,you only have to do some reading and to have the courage to try it.
    I can use my black-white laser printer out of the box.The colored printer was recognized but it gave driver error.I will try to correct this.I had worked on my virtual machine with Pardus and I have to use some commands(terminal) to make my scanner work.But at least I have 70% of my system working out of the box.This is great.Kee pass and also Kmail works great too.I can print,surf the web and get my mails easily.
    I am playing with my new toy.I feel like a child who got a new toy for a birthday present(46 yrs old child) LOL.

2. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

You are not the only one and I can proudly say that I'm a full time Linux user at home. Ubuntu is actually my dearest beloved :D.

Thanks.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Its honeymoon time, let the marriage continue till it gets to 7 month itch period ;)

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

5. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

:) Too true!

6. CogitoTesting

I've been running Ubuntu for close to 7 months now and with the release of Lucid Lynx at the end of April the marriage will only solidify. I'm sooo in love with Ubuntu Linux, the object of my affection and inspiration :D.

Thanks.

7. linuxforall

Well Ubuntu made me switch from SuSE 8, I started with version 6 and have never looked back since. I do try out major distros like Fedora, SuSe, sidux, mepis but Ubuntu remains my primary distro.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here, I have tried most of them, but Ubuntu is the only one I run anymore.

9. linuxforall

LOL! no wonder Ubuntu is much hated by users of other Linux, its not the latest, cutting edge, fastest, greatest, heck it sometimes has few bugs here and there but by golly does it work right outta the box on most machines and in that sense, its a pleasure for me to get first time users into desktop linux.

10. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

I`ve used various distros starting with Mandrake back in the day and used Ubuntu pretty much exclusively from Dapper through to Jaunty.
    Then I discovered Mint :cool:
    I have to say Linux Mint 8 is the best OS I have ever used.

11. CogitoTesting

What, What, What...? You.....Wait a minute, I just remembered Linux Mint is based upon Ubuntu. Now I feel much better Ahhhh :D.

Thanks.

12. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Are you having any plymouth problems (assuming you're running Lucid right now as I am)? Sometimes plymouthd crashes...sometimes not. Sometimes the plymouth boot screen shows...sometimes not. Hope they get it sorted out before release date (April 29th...my son's birthday :)).

BTW, it's gonna be hard to leave Karmic behind once I make the switch to Lucid. IMO, it's been the best Ubuntu version by far.

Later....

13. s23

s23 Registered Member

Same behaviour here. Sometimes after updates it not boot... the system freeze at boot screen.

14. linuxforall

Yeah its the green Ubuntu.

15. linuxforall

I never liked plymouth in Fedora, also Lucid is shipping with Nouveau drivers, the problem is when you want the latest drivers from nvidia to take full advantage of your card, installing that means the Nouveau drivers need to be disabled at boot via kernel hack.

16. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

It's about time you nvidia users had some trouble like we Ati users. I lost 3D acceleration via fglrx about two versions back. Serves you right to suffer (as an old blues song goes)...;).

Later...

17. linuxforall

Oh don't feel bad, I shelved a brand new dual GPU ATi 4850 and bought myself a cheapo nvidia 8400GS just so I could watch full screen movies with VDPAU.

18. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

You should check belgeler.org :) komşi

19. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i love fedora as my main distro and mint linux 8 as second fav distro i feel too tired with setting fedora so i dont want to tweak all in ubuntu as well being lazy Linux mint is my 1st choose i mean out of box experience also i love default green look mint menu bar soft manager ....etc :D

most i am gnome fan u use kde less but mint kde really looking very eye candy to me

going to try mint kde now if it look cool i add kde desktop environment in mint as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLBghtyi0jQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8r3Yz-9eUo

20. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Congrats. Been using Linux since 1993.

21. s23

s23 Registered Member

yeah... I got alot of trouble trying install the ATI fglrx drives.... in opensuse and ubuntu... (i'm using a ATI x1200 onboard vga)

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also find Ubuntu 9.10 quite amazing (I had only tried an older version of Ubuntu in the past), very short installation time and everything works out of the box. The only thing that I find slightly disappointing using Chrome with it, is the page rendering in some websites is not exactly perfect, but otherwise it is hard to believe that one can have such an amazing OS, for free, and free from malware.
    No firewall, no antimalware of any kind, what a relief! Is there any backup programs, imaging software specifically? Is transferring files and folders from Ubuntu to Windows dangerous in terms of malware? TIA for any comments.

23. linuxforall

Chrome works good here except for some pages but Opera generally works better, the new 10.52 beta except some pages where Chrome handily beats it, give it a try from Opera desktop blog http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, I don't mind using Firefox where Chrome doesn't do well. After all it is the default browser.

25. linuxforall

My main browser for surfing and mail is Opera, Chrome is my alternate, I don't bother with FF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.