I E Drop down menu wont drop down

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by willcorwin, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willcorwin

willcorwin Registered Member

I noticed a couple days ago that my ie drop down menu wouldnt drop down cp runs fine ive used ccleaner, adware se, spy bot, ewido, norton, panda scan, and to no luck and yes went through setting is there just something im overlooking or is the a more serious problem,

2. hadi

hadi Guest

Ah You are using ccleaner. This is normal when "recently Typed Urls" is checked in ccleaner menu.

3. willcorwin

thanks for the repli but this was a problem before i ran ccleaner

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

When you say 'drop down menu' are you referring to the Address Bar where you wanted the lists of recently used URLs OR.... are you referring to the MAIN menu bar ifself as in File/View/etc.e tc.

Even using CC with history on, you should still be able to use the drop down menu in the Address Bar [see pic] only it will be blank like my shot....

if address bar, are you saying it just won't drop at all using the arrow?

TAS

Attached Files:

5. willcorwin

yes wont drop down useing arrow! sometimes it will flicker like its going to go down but never dose.

6. willcorwin

buy the way thanks for taking the time to read about my problem

7. Tassie_Devils

Willcorwin, no probs, haven't heard of that one.

OK, does it interfere in any way with your surfing/using IE at all, apart from just not being able to access the recently used URL lists after you have surfed.

You said it was a problem before using CC, so cannot see CC being responsible.

How do you have your 'History' set up in IE itself.

In IEs top menu bar: Tools/Internet Options/General TAB go to the 'History' section, what do you have in there.
    While in there anyway, click 'Clear History' and then put the history say to 2 days, close IE, reopen, go to a couple of sites first, then check the Address Bar. Maybe it just needs a 'refresh' by you actually clearing history from within IE. Just a stab in the dark here. :doubt:

TAS

8. willcorwin

well this is one for the books then because i delete cookies files all offline content and clear history after getting off the INTERNET not every time but pretty frequently. I was told this might be some sort of spy ware, or ad ware, that might disable it so you cant see where you've been but like you said that is just a stab in the dark. just to let you know Ive ran ad ware SE, ccleaner, and spy-bot SD. All while in safe mode cleared up everything but the drop down menu. Which might just be another IE glitch. I even disabled restore and rebooted my computer to get rid of old restore points to see if when i cleaned the system it wasn't going to reload itself from there. to everybody Else reading this isn't a good idea if you have stuff you don't want to lose.

9. Tassie_Devils

OK, that did not work, try this.

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete and click Clear Forms. In IE if Auto Complete is checked, what can happen is it stores that information so when typing an address, it remembers it, and wants to then 'help' you complete it, if filling it out again.

Now, I am not saying this is the problem, but if may be really "clogged up" with too much info and it's hanging/freezing on you. You will lose all of the saved information in there for forms, but it just may help. This is different to having 'history' stored in the drop down menu.

another "stab in the dark" for you :blink: In meantime, I shall have a bit of a poke around see what I can discover in IE :doubt:

TAS :cool:

10. Tassie_Devils

silly question.... o_O Which version IE.. I suppose you do have IE6.0 | SP1 plus all updates, including the last critical one for IE KB905915?

IF not, update IE itself with any patches, that may refresh it... OR last resort, find IE6.0 SP1 at MS and redownload it and reinstall.... but I can imagine it would be pretty big file, I haven't looked for it personally.

TAS

PS: Here it is: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

:ouch: It's BIG... 75Mb...

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont know if this helps but go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and in teh Browsing section make sure that "Use inline AutoComplete" is checked.

12. Tassie_Devils

I had thought of that Fuser, but mine is UNchecked, and everything still works, still, it may be needing activation to give it a refresh.

anything worth a try. :blink:

TAS

13. willcorwin

14. willcorwin

[/ATTACH]

15. willcorwin

notice.jpg

notice that on the right when drop down menu should be up i can highlight areas to choose when drop down menu should be down i cant. I'm not sure if this will help Ive looked everywhere for anything out of the ordinary. Ive even goggled every process that is running on my computer I.E. file names. to no evil. found one but didn't wright it down will get it if needed.there was one blank.gif i now this is a file format for say a picture but one website said it could be used for virus or spy ware. but hell just about anything can be used for that. If you stay interested i will keep giving info. TD and WS thanks for the info

16. willcorwin

ws autocompleet didnt help but thanks though that might have went overlooked. In the mean time its just anouying. not knowing what is cousing this. Im inch away from nukeing IE and reinstall but then if it works i wont know what was fixed. In the mean time happy new year

17. Tassie_Devils

Hi Will... well I am about out of options, I searched MS Knowledge base and noticed that some of the things I said in previous posts were used but not for exactly the same problem, the problem was because of a huge build up of history in their drop down menus, where you do clean yours fairly regularly anyway, so that was not the issue.

I shall check in on thread, but I cannot seem to find anything else with that specific problem. Google does not really come up with anything either after I tried the couple of things I said. :doubt:

Maybe someone will pop in with something so simple we will wonder why it was not thought of. :)

Cheers, TAS

18. willcorwin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got it the only problem is i don't really know what process fixed it. I've ran and done so much. but this I'm sure any one of the few major things we done fixed it. Think re clearing the history and getting rid of all cookies. was the biggest thing. so you were right i just for some reason had to do it a few times I've also ran all the spy ware and ad ware programs you can find some found nothing others found cookies with tracking ability. The only problem i didn't check my browser every time i finished one. So no quick fix but something if i have a problem with in a future i will now where to start and this time i will document it so don't seem surprised if i wright in the future to give better details.

19. Tassie_Devils

thanks for the feedback Will ;)

glad to see you are using IE without problems again. :D

Cheers, TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.