I absolutely love 2.83 % of Microsoft Works

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have to admit I love Microsoft Word. But I don't really care for all the other stuff that they package with it. The nice thing is you don't have to install everything. Just for the record:

Microsoft Works 2002:

total size of all files on install disk: 2.89 Gigabytes (no joke, over 3,000 MB)

when I excise the parts I don't want (everything but Word) my installation size: 66 MB!

What a difference!

HandsOff

2. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

We made jokes about word and office in the past, that it would grow
    over the GIG. but sadly it is true ..

Within 4 years they sell it on two 4 terrabytes DVD+++ disks!

With some luck people will realize that there is better and FREE
    software available.

:doubt:

3. whistl3r

whistl3r Registered Member

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Well, my reason is this: When you use word you can be reasonably sure that your documents will be Word compatible and that you will be able to read documents that were composed in Word.

I have a theory about why office is up to 4+ gigs did you sayo_OI believe it may be sort of a sideways anti-piracy tactic. I cant imagine a lot of people on p2p passing the thing around.

It is disturbing proof of how thoroughly MS was able to dominate the market by shoving this software down peoples throats via bundled software and, as rumour has it, even threats of witholding Windows from manufacturers that did not sell it preinstalled in their computers.

Tale of a minamalist with a 2.89 GB editing program: A true story!

1st computer: I had to actually pay for my first word processor. It was Word Perfect. it was windows 3.1 compatable! I loved it.

2nd computer: I was happy at first, I was getting a new word processor for free, and a whole lot of other stuff. They just gave me Office 97, or whatever they call it. In a matter of days Word 97 became the most hated computer program I ever used. Still...it was free.

3rd computer: Oh boy, Works 2002 free. Only this time I was determined to tame it. The thing is though. Just like 50,000,000 other people out there, I have been using Word for like 8 years.

I'm no genius, I don't like figuring things out. (*sheepishly*) I hope Office Complex 2007 comes free on my next computer!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.