Hum. Linux.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by sosaiso, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Thanks for the Feather screen shots. Similar look to dsl and Puppy. I wasn't aware of an install version.

Hmm... nubuntu is a portly mini-distro with a download weighing in at 222 MB.

2. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

hi bktII
    i will get my fc5 dvd today.planning toinstall that this week.hearing here some good comments about desktopbsd and pcbsd.have you tried any of these bsds b4??
    regards
    clansman

3. bktII

bktII Registered Member

clansman77,

Never tried BSD before. I ordered a DesktopBSD CD yesterday. Don't know how long it takes to ship. I've seen it take anywhere from a few days to a month with some Linux distros DVDs.

Looking forward to trying it out on my laptop.

Hope your fc5 install goes well. Are you doing a fresh install of fc5 or an upgrade from fc4?

bkII

4. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

About 18 months ago I aquired Suse 9.1 as a boxed set,1 live CD and 1 install CD.
    The instructions on the box,book and install sheet all differ:blink:

Anyway I installed on my old machine and tried it for a while but did not have enough time to really get to grips with this OS.

I am looking into changing OS in the future and have run a few BSD and Linux live CDs.
    I decided that I really should take the time to try out the Suse 9.1 as I have the CDs etc...........trouble is it won't install.
    I can boot into the installation which starts as expected then I get an error message saying that there are no hard drives on my machine and install cannot proceed.
    I have tried all the install methods suggested and get nowhere.

Other linux and bsd systems can find the hard drive ........anyone have any ideas?

PC is a Dell Dimension 8400,250GigMaxtor HD,Pentium 4 (Prescott)3.20Ghz HT.
    Running XP Home SP2 ,Windows is the only OS on the drive.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I had a similar problem with Western Digital Sata drives.
    But they solves the problem with Suse 9.2 or 9.3 if I remember correctly.
    Anyhow, Suse 10 also works well with new WD Sata 2 drives, so maybe you should download the new version?
    Mrk

6. clansman77

i am doing a fresh install.not an upgrade.do share your experience with desktop bsd with us..

7. clansman77

8. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Mmmmm,
    A 5 CD download.........thanks but I found someone that wanted the suse CDs.

Having looked at all the write ups un Linux distros and seen Xandros recommended as being easy to work with I took the plunge ,downloaded and installed today.

It is SOOOOO simple!

Installing could not be easier, much easier than any Windows install,adding updates ,applications and new programs is so easy I thought I had it wrong........expecting the usual installer etc.........click and its in:blink:

There is a lot to learn but mainly because it is different to windows and the amount of customisation possible is awesome.

But from start to finish,install was @ 45 minutes,all running and connected to the internet.

9. clansman77

10. dog

dog Guest

11. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

I've been running Breezy Badger for about a week now and using it every day and i can't think of a reason why i haven't installed it earlier, it's great not to have to fight with spyware, crapware or whatever it's called.
    No unneeded services running in the background either.
    For me the reason(s) to use this OS is not so much that it's free of charge but the stability and the way you can set it up to your own liking without the usual bloat.

I say just jump in and learn, it is an eyeopener!
    Thanks Dog for the link, i could use that one. ;)

regards
    Lamehand

12. dog

dog Guest

Seeing as Mepis has been recommended several times, I just installed it ... The first impression is good, but I still prefer my customized Mandriva (which does everything I need) - but given time who knows - It looks fairly decent so far - pretty good codec pack installed but it's missing a few, which I'll install as it doesn't like my iPod rips. :mad: I'm also going to try Gentoo and Xandros over the next few days. It's funny, how the "Linux Fever" grips you ... I think these are the only remaining main distros I haven't tried yet. Mandriva remains my favourite ... SuSE in second ... Debian's OK so is ubuntu (actually kubuntu as I prefer KDE over Gnome) ... the others I'm not overly impressed with (notably FC 5 and Linspire [I got the free 5.0 version on the mixup with the Distrowatch listing]) ... I think I've tried the majority of the distros now ... at least the top 50 @ Distrowatch (minus the gateway/firewall ones).

@ Lamehand ... go up a directory - Linux.com has many howto's (lots of good stuff :))

Another good guide/howto for converting media files to DVD format is at the Gentoo forums (it's great if you're into that) - http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=117709

13. dog

dog Guest

Ps. Seeing as Linux is free ... why not spend some cash on learning material. Here are couple of good books IMO, if anyone is interested - and more of a bookworm - nice resources.

These are amazon.ca links ...

Linux Bible 2006 Comes with several distros on disc. ;)

Hacking Exposed Linux, 2nd Edition - I'm working my way through this one ATM.

Steve

14. clansman77

dog, do share your experience with gentoo.i am planning to try that after sometime,when i am more experienced..

15. Lamehand

@ Dog;
    Thanks, i have something to do now, very informative site. :D

greetings
    Lamehand

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Dog, did you install the latest Mepis beta? that's the one which is now based on Ubuntu, i think it's version 6.

also, Arch is supposed to be really good distro. it's a text based distro like Gentoo so it's a great distro for people who want to learn more about Linux. i'm still not totally sure how difficult it is though
    http://archlinux.org/about.php
    http://archlinux.org/

there's also something called Underground Linux which is based on Arch and i think is abit easier to install
    http://www.ludos.org/portal/node/15

17. Lamehand

I'am looking, and have been looking, for another background for my desktop (gnome) but so far no luck.I've seen very elaborate wallpapers but that is not what i want.
    I'am looking for a single coloured background but i can't find it, if possible in green or blue.

Any suggestions where to get this will be appreciated.

regards
    Lamehand

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

do you wan it to say gnome, or just something plain? here's one i have
    http://www.stormchild.net/images/desktop_pics/storm_on_the_ocean_1024x768.jpg

if you want it in a different size there're more sizes at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.stormchild.net/art.html

here's one which says gnome
    http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirr...ds/GNOME-MKKSGnomeWallpaper4Blue_1024x768.jpg

if you want to change the way things look you can go to Gnome Look, just click on the column on the left to select the option you want - Wallpapers, icons, (GTK 2., Metacity, these are desktop themes) etc
    http://www.gnome-look.org/

i've changed everything, splash screen, logon screen, i've even changed all the brown text to blue during bootup and put an Ubuntu grub screen in too :cool:

here's my desktop atm
    http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9048/screenshot6uj.th.png

19. dog

dog Guest

20. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

So, I've been practicing my Kubuntu for awhile, I'd have to thank you all for great reading material.

However, I've been doing a lot of office work as well, and that has not been going well. OpenOffice doesn't seem to like to keep its formatting the same way when ported to Windows .doc's. Is there a program that will do this better? And OO seems to be running slightly slower on my computer than I'd like, but I understand it's the better Office alternative right?

21. dog

dog Guest

Will do ... I'm gonna try Xandros next - after playing with Mepis further

22. clansman77

anyone tried that linux bible dog mentioned??how is it?seems like you will get so many distros...for those who cant get the distro in anyother way this seems a pretty goood option

23. Lamehand

I've seen a couple i really like, specially the one where the penguin shoots the MS logo.

Thanks for the info.
    Lamehand

24. bktII

bktII Registered Member

sosaiso,

Since you are using the KDE, give the word processor in KDE Office a try. I used the KDE office suite, in addition to OO, when I had Linspire OS installed. IMO it is a good one, just not multi-platform (yet).

I don't believe that formatting issues across apps are completely solved yet, but is getting close.

bktII

P.S. I have also had some minor formatting issues with AbiWord, of GNOME Office, in Windows and Ubuntu.

25. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Yea, I've had problems with the KDE version as well. I guess I'll just stick with booting into windows for all the word formatting duties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice