Hum. Linux.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by sosaiso, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, I just tried Kanotix mini live CD yesterday on my Toshiba satellite M 70. It,s working well. It can recognize my SATA HD( as sda1), USB flash drive( as sdb1), USB keyboard and USB mouse, all fine. I just want help in few things,

1- I am not able to find how to configure a dial up connection. I searched but no way. Can anybody help.
    2- How can I know which version I am using?
    3- I want to use scanModem utility to scan my modem. I put the file in USB flash drive via XP, and I am able to see this file when I boot in linux, but I don,t know how to execute this file. Which command I should write in Bash for this?
    4- After I run the scanModem utility, how can I save the result back in my USB drive, so that I can post it through XP?

Note: I don,t want to use my HD for this purpose, only live CD and USB drive.

Sorry for a bit off topic post but as the thread was about Linux in general, I thought it might be discussed.

2. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I do not see it as offtopic. I'd def like to know how to access my USB drives as well.

And I am so glad to hear that VLC is able to run on Linux. Phew... But my favorite Media Player Classic doesn't seem to want to run on it. :T

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

aigle. one of the problems with Linux is that it is almost impossible to configure dialup internet unless you are a programmer and have a modem that will work with Linux, most dial up modems won't work with Linux.You might try a hardware modem, but they don't always work either. Linux is actually written to work with broadband.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

What BigC says is mainly true, but Kanotix has pretty good support for dial-up modems (you might think i'm odd but i was actually browsing through some of the work-arounds for modems on Kanotix yesterday :rolleyes: :D ) do a search for the make of your modem with the word Kanotix or Linux and you might find something.

plus i got my modem working in the first couple of days of using Linux. true it did take about 2 days :p lol , but it works now :cool: anyway, you can buy a new modem pretty cheaply.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are right but actually I did a search on internet and all I got from there is that if I am lucky enough to get a linmodem driver for my modem, then it might work.
    But as I told u the first step for this is to use scanModem and I am not sure which command I should write in Bash to run this tool.
    I have no option for broadband, no way.
    I am surprised linux is propagated as open source and cheep but u know most poor countries have mainly dial up, no aesy way for linux.
    Anyhow I will try my best to look for driver for my modem.

6. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

@aigle
    linux in general has less support for dialup modems especially for internalpci modems and usb modems.these modems are called winmodems coz they are truly not hardware modems.part of their work is done by software -that is windows.they are optimized for windows and are also called softmodems/hsf/hcf modems/controllerless modems.the chipset manufacturers of these modems dont usually make drivers for these modems in linux coz it aint profitable for them and neither do they provide any code.only few chipsets have working drivers available for free.some of them notably conexant/linuxant offers drivers in linux for an year for a fee.they release drivers for each kernel version and for each distro.they also offers a speedcapped free version.this is not worth the fee.u can by an external serial modem (rs232)with that one year fee.linux offers built in excellent support for any serial external dialup modem out of box without any tinkering..i had a conexant internal dialup modem which was detected by ubuntu pbut i had to use the driver s from linuxant for connection.considering the fee they charges i opted for an external serial modem and it works flawless.:D

to use scan modem
    Only use http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

Browse http://linmodems.technion.ac.il and
    download scanModem.gz . Within a Linux partition (copy the file from your usb flash drive to linux desktop)open a console and type the following commands..

remember to copy paste the commands..
    it will create a folder named modem in your desktop read the files in there .there are lots in there..u can cpy that file into your usb flash drive and use..
    Only the ouput ModemData.txt should be sent to Discuss@linmodems.org for support regarding your modem..

after configuring modem u can use
    wvdial/gnomeppp/kppp/ppconfig etc for dialing out...

somelinks
    www.linmodems.org
    http://www.tldp.org

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

linux is about freedom. unfortunatey alot of modem companies don't like that idea and therefore don't support linux. some do, but the drivers are still closed source meaning when the driver becomes redundant Linux programmings can't use the source code to make the necessary changes to make the modems work again.

so, it's not the fault of Linux, but companies which don't support Linux. it's best to just use hardware which actively supports and works with Linux.

http://www.linux-drivers.org/
    http://www.linux.org/vendor/hardware/index.html
    http://www.linux.org/hardware/index.html
    http://www.linuxdevices.com/

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks I will try this command.

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

To get to usb drives, just open up a file explorer and type in "/media/" and you should see your usb drive along with any cd and floppy drives.

Alphalutra1

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have a real bad luck. No way although I tried too much. I was able to copy scanModem to desktop. I did as following
    su
    root
    cd Desktop
    root desktop
    gunzip scanModem.gz
    gunzip: no such file or directory
    cd /sda1/
    no such file or directory
    cd /sdb1/
    cd /dev/had/

I don,t know why as it is automounting my HD( as sda1 and I can see all the contents of my HD, including windows) and USB as sdb1 and I can see all its contents and copied the scanModem utility from there to desktop by mouse.
    I was able to check properties of scanModem file by Rt.click, there is no permission to execute for owner even. I was not able to change execute permissions as I tried as follows

su
    root
    cd Desktop
    root desktop
    ls -l scanModem.gz
    No such file or directory( and I can see the file on Desktop_ it,s surprizing).

It is in Kanotix( Cox USB) linux.

Same in DSL.
    Here it is rather worse. As I am not able to see my HD or USB, no auto mounting I think.
    There is a mounting device and by this I was able to mount CD room(already being used by live CD- so can,t understand it). Floppy not mounted( of course as laptop has no floppy drive).
    Another drive shown mounted was sda1( don,t know it is HD or USB).
    When I gave command
    cd sda1 - again no success.
    Also here when I enter us
    It asks me root password and I have not set any password!

It,s all about my struggle with linux. I tried Puppy linux as well, and that a bigger failure, bad Distro for me
    so will not write here although I was able to boot.

I can,t use my HD to install as I have installed RollbckRx.
    Any help will be appreciated. Now I know why Linux is not popular.

11. clansman77

aigle i am not so familiar with kanotix and dsl.if you could get it try ubuntu live cd/knoppix which are more popular...

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

setting up Linux for the first time is the hardest thing! but, after it's done you'll have learnt alot and you should end up loving it.

are you following a tutorial? post a link if you are.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks clansman and iceni, I was able to run scan Modem in DSL. About my last post, I think infact I was not able to copy it on desktop in Kanotix( CPX MINI). I then entered USB and all was OK but when I gave command ./scanModem, it says Bad interpreter, Permission Denied( inspite i entered as su and file was having read,write and exucute permissions), any idea what is wrong here. BTW I am using CPX MINI ( a mini USB distribution based on Kanotix), so it is not exactly Kanotix I think. Anyhow i don,t know why command ./scanModem is not executed?

OK, now about DSL, it obeyed the command nicely and made a data file in USB that I am going to post to linmodem.org.

I will be thankful if somebody can help in these questions.

1- Why command ./scanModem is not executed in CPX MINI.
    2- When i give command su in DSL, it askes me password, while I never set a password, so what does it mean?
    3- I am able to find Modem Configuration settings in DSL but I can,t find it in CPX MINI although I tried too muck. Can anybody help me how I can find. Maybe if it can recognize my modem, I might not need to install a linux driver as it seems to detect most of my hardware( very pleasant especially when u use linux on laptop).

BTW, I am only using live CD for both.

@clansman

I think Kanotix and DSL both are Knoopix based.

@iceni

I have very bitter experience, I will say there is no easy tutorial about linux for dummies. When I started, I thought it will be easy like windows but …..I have to look so many sites and helps but inspite of that it took 3-4 days just to execute a file(scanModem). lol
    Anybody who has no idea of command line interface can,t get spoon feeding tutorials. Especially I am not able to find any How-To or DIY videos( they make everything very so palatable).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  14. bluebishop

bluebishop Registered Member

Out of curiosity, I've downloaded and tried most of the interesting Linux Live CD's here: http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

But contrary to the experience of others, I found Linux Puppy 1.0.8 to be the most exciting distro bar none! As everything runs in RAM, there are no delays and the speed is nothing short of astounding.

* Puppy easily installs to USB, Zip or hard drive media.
    * Booting from CD, Puppy loads totally into RAM so that the CD drive is then free for other purposes.
    * Booting from CD, Puppy can saves everything back to the CD, no need for a hard drive.
    * Booting from USB, Puppy will greatly minimises writes, to extend the life of Flash devices indefinitely.
    * Puppy is extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
    * Puppy boots up and runs extraordinarily fast.
    * Puppy has all the applications needed for daily use.
    * Puppy just works, no hassles.
    * Puppy breathes new life into old PCs

For such a small OS, it has all the required applications for most people:
    Wordprocessing
    Web page editing
    Personal accounting
    Instant messenging
    Addressbook, Calendar
    Web browser
    Spreadsheet editor
    File manager
    Desktop publishing
    Vector image editing
    Outliner, organiser
    Bitmap image editing
    Audio
    Video
    Games
    Conversion, printing, scanning
    Package management
    Network
    Window manager
    Database
    Help

But perhaps the most important consideration for me is that I can literally carry my computer in my pocket. LOL! My wallet even! (No kidding!) It can even function as a great Windows Rescue Disk and can access my HDD with all my Win Files whenever Win refuses to boot up!

Love it!

15. bluebishop

The Linux closest to Windows would be Linspire 5.0.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

But have to pay. It,s no cheeper.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Tried on my laptop.It doesn,t recognize USB flash drive, USB mouse, USB keyboard, and even SATA drive. Pretty useless on my laptop at least.

18. bluebishop

Funny... Because one of the first things Puppy OS asks when running it live for the first time is whether you have a serial or USB mouse/keyboard. In addition, I simply had to mount my USB Flash Drive (in the Drive Icon) to use it. In fact the drive icon looks like a USB thumb disk...

I can't comment on the SATA drive as I don't use one.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U might be using it on Desktop!

20. clansman77

btw aigle what kind of modem do you have??which is the chipset??is it an internal one or external usb/serial??

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Of couse internal. PCI Ithink. It, laptop, Toshiba satellite M 70. I have contacted linmodem.org for drivers but still I need to find the answers of my questions in post no.38.

22. dog [away]

dog [away] Guest

Have you tried their forum for help? http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-newlang-eng.html or directly to the english sub-forum - http://kanotix.com/PNphpBB2-index-c-5.html

Ps. I don't believe the root PW is usually set on a live CD.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am doing it also, alongwith other forums but infact u will not get so many responses there, not like here.

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

try this

put scanModem on your desktop. right-click it and select extract. :cool:

then open a command window and copy and paste the stuff below.
    cd Desktop/
    chmod +x scanModem
    ./scanModem

BTW to check your hardware you can use this command.
    cd Desktop/
    su lshw > hardware.txt

if the su bit doesn't work just do this instead
    cd Desktop/
    lshw > hardware.txt

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks iceni, as I told in my post 38 I was able to run scanModem on DSL and the data file I got I have sent to linmodem.org but in CPX mini linux, when I type final command ./scanModem, the response is Bad interpreter, Permission Denied. It,s strange!

However I checked my hardware by command lspci -v and psted the result to the forum. I have got some suggestion for drivers already. But I don,t know why ./scanModem command is not executed?
    Secondly on DSL , when I type su, it asks for password and I never se a password. Somebody suggested sudo and sudosu but it did not work either. It accepts sudo but I don,t see login as root.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.