HTTP Switchboard for Chrome/Chromium:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Nov 25, 2013.

1. tlu

tlu Guest

Raymond, there seems to be a small bug regarding the "assets": I've chosen easylistgermany.txt as one of the lists of blocked hosts but that list is reported as "To add" in About/Assets. All other lists are okay.

2. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I found and fixed this two days ago: https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/commit/8a8d87a639c95e0bcdd99ebf5755f105631b0c1c. The fix was so simple, I didn't enter an issue for this, but I should always enter one just so people can track the issue.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

Why am I not surprised? :D :D :D

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Screenshot 2014-03-13 at 1.55.44 PM.png

Gorhill, any idea how to deal with situations like this? I'd like to just whitelist *.cloudfront.com for the scope rather than having to whitelist scripting/XHR entirely. The random prefix makes things a little difficult.

5. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Allowing users to create rules for `cloudfront.net` is same as allowing users to create rules for `co.uk`, i.e. not very good security-wise.

`cloudfront.net` is in the Public Suffix List, meaning that it must be assumed that the owner of `x.cloudfront.net` is not the same as the owner of `y.cloudfront.net`.

The prefix is random to our eyes, but it is actually persistent for a given website. For example, there is a rule in the Wired preset which hostname is `dnkzzz1hlto79.cloudfront.net`: this means `dnkzzz1hlto79.cloudfront.net` belongs to Wired (to serve their videos), even though it would have been nice that there was a more meaningful name so that users would be able to figure where this comes from.

How many actual different occurrences of those `cloudfront.net` do you see for `c9.io`?

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Just the ones there. I haven't noticed them change. If they're likely to remain static then I suppose there's no real issue.

7. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Raymond, great job again! With this last release even the ads inside Gmail are gone, with ADB (I do not use ADB+) disabled.

8. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Great (I was wondering if that helped there). Actually, we need to be grateful to whoever maintain these lists, it's quite a feat to constantly keep up to date such a huge amount of data.

9. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Absolutely agreed. :thumb:

One Question, i know this has been asked previously, but wanted to see if it is a good thing to incorporate into httpsb. i.e., To collapse (or delete) blocked elements by httpsb instead of showing them with red border.

Advantages:
    - Less glaring to the eye and websites look more beautiful.
    - Unnecessary space (screen estate) would not be wasted.

If this feature cannot be standard, atleast it would be appreciated to have as an optional feature. This way i can dump ABP+ completely :)

Few sites look better are vr-zone.com, youtube.com,..

Thanks, Harsha.

10. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Yes, I think I will budge on this one finally given the number of requests. I will try to think of something. Currently thinking of a setting where the user could choose the opacity, between 0 and 100: 0 means invisible, 100 mean just like now (default). Collapsing though I don't see it for now, as it requires playing with the DOM.

11. dogbite

Update: ads blocking on Startpage.com search results does not work.

12. gorhill

gorhill Guest

It works for me. It has ads.Are you using some extra lists?

13. dogbite

I checked all the lists available in HTTP SB.

Attached Files:

14. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Ok I misunderstood... I thought you said the search results didn't work. So what you are saying is that ad blocking doesn't work in the search results?

EDIT: ok I looked and the ads were hidden for startpage, the filter is not request-based, but rather element-hiding-based, so for the time being, DOM editing is not something HTTPSB deals with.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  15. dogbite

Also on Twitter ads are not blocked by HTTPSB.

16. luxi

luxi Registered Member

HTTPSB doesn't have the capability to hide/remove those elements (yet), and to my understanding gorhill has been reluctant to implement such functionality. HTTPSB and Adblock Plus together may be a little redundant but they still compliment each other for the time being.

17. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Thanks for taking into consideration :)

Out of curiosity, how do you set opacity property? Is it not setting on individual elements by their id/names? If it is the case, i believe you can try using 'display:none'. This should effectively collapse the element.

edit 1: I just tried using display:none instead of background image with red stripes one. I guess doing the same page load, should adjust the other elements automatically saving the screen space. Attached screen shot :)

edit 2: Ok, i see now. setting display none property would not collapse the element, (just hides it effectively) as the original element (1 level top) height and width property are still retained. :( Only setting parent's banner element would collapse it. So, we need id/name of the banner element to do that. :)

Thanks, Harsha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  18. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Well the inside of a frame belongs to HTTPSB, so I can have them displayed with whatever I want. It's changing the outer frame that would require playing with the DOM.

19. dogbite

Sure, I do not pretend gorhill to follow any input from any user. It's just a general feedback to him, since I am sure he cannot check 100% of the web sites around.
    After this last release, I still use HTTP SB without ADblock because nearly 90% of them are blocked anyway and Chrome works much leaner without AB blocker.

20. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I have seen sometimes temporary rules being deleted without touching the remove tools. What could be causing it? Could it be for instance automatic update of the HTTPSB version?

21. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Is the 'latest' version available for opera next yet ?
    See version 0.83 only.
    Thanks in advance

22. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Yes it could be auto-update, as this causes an extension to being reloaded.

23. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I submitted a new version this week-end, and it was published this morning EDT (Opera is much more strict when it comes to publishing, it requires a crew to validate the extension, even if an upgrade.)

24. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Thanks so much, and all understood :thumb:

25. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Just wow, the most recent updates has made httpswitchboard not only really easy to use but informative as well. Great job gorhill!! Your wiki makes HTTPSB really easy for even the newbs. I like the unified settings/statistics window.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.