Hrrmm..How Can A Security Forum "Passively" Not Accept Anonymous Sign-ups

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by AnotherBob, Jan 12, 2015.

1. AnotherBob

AnotherBob Registered Member

So as a test, I attempted to sign-up to this forum in an Anonymous fashion just to see the outcome. The registration form was filled out, the "prove your a human" question was answered and a confirmation was returned to my screen saying that my sign-up was pending approval.

Apparently the "approval / acceptance" of my sign-up was discarded or ignored by the powers to be. On the other hand, I repeated the process in a non anonymous fashion and the membership was immediately accepted and I received a confirmation email within Mins.

So what's the idea / motivation behind not accepting Anonymous sign-ups here? I figure, if a new member immediately shows signs of being an @sshole or Troll it would only take a few seconds of a moderators time to simply delete said member and forget they ever existed.

Thanks for any explanations you care to share

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It's called anti-spam measures. Stop Forum Spam, Botscout, Cleantalk, and all those other services. We reject more than 30 registrations per day here that don't pass the anti-spam tests. (In fact, it's probably a lot higher than that, but, most don't even get queued up since they fail too many spam check routines, and the accounts don't even get created for approval.)

If members want to be so anonymous, that they use proxies and services that are abused continuously by spammers, then they have to deal with the same rejections those spammers see. We are not going to approve just every registration here since the shear number of link and profile spammers is enough to bury us if we didn't block them. This morning when I got up there were 19 queued spammer accounts in the queue. I manually checked every one of them, as I always do, and when I confirmed bad IP or email addresses, I rejected each one in turn. It's what you have to do to prevent male enhancment, best naked pix, carders and every other forum of spam from filling up your forum.

3. AnotherBob

AnotherBob Registered Member

Fair enough..Thanks for the insight and reply :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.