how you rate Norton AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xTiNcTion, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

Hi guys,

i always feel that Norton AV doesn't offer to much security. i just see the icon on the task bar and when a virus is found it NEVER clean the file. and many times it's a kind of BLIND!!

do you thing that NAV is any good? or i have a better and strongest solution?

i have installed: spywareblaster, spywareGuard, Spybot SD, MRU Blaster and Zone Alarm 4. is that enough? :)

2. AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster Registered Member

;) NAV...one of the better ones...

IMHO, not perfect, by any means, but better than most.

Also, an industry standard, methinks. Don't like the removal process as it is tough at times. Don't like the way they always do things, like jacking up the subscription price, from 10 to 25 per year, in 1 year, and about to see another increase again with this renewal. But they remain THE referenceable site/company when it comes to "crunch time", as they responded so well this summer, great team performance, and I hope to never see that kind of crapola again...

3. Stranger

Stranger Registered Member

the answer to the question if Norton is any good will vary depending on a user's preference.

It's a good antivirus with a solid track record in several pretigious lab certifications if you go by that stuff. The criticisms i have of it is that with every subsequent version Symantec seems to be hell bent on adding and adding more features to it and increasing its size. To put it mildly, it's not exactly the most nimble av. It's adequate for handling your run of the mill virus and worms, but when it comes to backdoor detection you might consider supplementing it with a separate AT or go with an av that's capable of dealing with a wide variety of trojans such as KAV or avs with a derivative engine.

Depending on your system, an approach you can take is to use Norton as the primary av and obtain a free process/port tool to check from time to time check what processes are running behind the scene. If there's a suspicious process listening on a particular port you can use Kav or TDS's- take your pick - on demand scanner only, instead of having it constantly working in the background, to weed it out. This approach is effective if you're not using a firewall but in this case since you're using ZA you can use it as a process manager to screen what program is accessing the network. Regarding your setup, it's fine, but it seems like your running multiple kinds of anti spyware detection.. i mean if that's to your liking that's no problem, but i don't think it's necessary. There are better ways to allocate and effectively utilize available system resources in terms of securing the machine.

4. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Slow, Unreliable, Bulky, uses to much space - CPU - Memory, also has a lot of bugs as well when they - Symantec add a new feture or a major update the always save it for the new version as to get more money out of the user, in short wouldnt touch it with dog s***t on the end of a barge pole, just moved over to Command.

Thanks

5. glm

glm Registered Member

Hello all.

I rate NV one of the best. I use NISPRO. Which has NV in it.

Gordon

6. manythanks

manythanks Guest

I dont want to offend anyone here so please remember that is my view,after having to download updates to NPF 2000/2001 because Ste Gibson invented the leaktest my computer started having probs, then on PC Flank stealth test I found that I was not stealth, then NAV 2001 needed scripting put in it which itself caused probs and a major slowdown, then to ansult to injury I was infected with blaster which was detected but NAV could not clean, as well as 2 price hikes because Symantec are not doing as well as they should. Having changed over to Command had no virus/worms or any probs as well as a major upgrade that was free although the renewal for command is more than NAV I only pay once a year not PAY RENEWAL AND THEN BE EXPECTED TO PAY FOR THE LATEST VERSION TO GET ALL THE UPDATES IN 6 MONTHS OF EACH OTHER.

Thanks

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

As AV's go, I think it is a good virus protection. But it does seem to have problems. That is why I no longer use it. It would disable the resident protection and you had to jump thru hoops to get it going again.

8. Kompressor

Kompressor Registered Member

I am very new to all this security stuff, but I'll share my recent experience with NAV. I have had no protection on my current PC for almost 2 years (yes, I know better now). A couple weeks ago my PC was riddled with pop-up ads and I took the advice of my wife's computer network guy to buy Norton's internet security 2004 pro, I'm pleased to say that the product has delivered on the companies ad statements, very easy to use and from what I can tell from current scans (Norton and Wilders links) it has effectively rid my PC from the 14 viruses which plagued it. I'm sure there is fancier stuff available, but from what I can tell, NAV does seem to be effective.

9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Good AV, but not updated enough for me. I did get infected with JS.Exception.Exploit one time with NAV. NAV couldn't do anything to it. I surfed too long after the alert, though.

10. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello xTiNcTion
    NOD32 is the lightest and most nimble AV program but......it has stopped all in-the-wild virii thrown at it. It has daily automatic updates that are trouble-free. Lastly it has garnered more 100% awards from Virus Bulletin than any other AV program.

You can try it free for 30 days if you like. NOD32 found here.
    Best wishes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.