How to tell when "complete database" includes new cumulative?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by MikeBCda, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I do understand that the complete database can be downloaded -- that's typically the most recent cumulative file (my current one is through #1910) plus all incrementals afterwards.

Is there any easy way to tell when a fresh cumulative file has been issued? The filename on your downloads page doesn't help, that only indicates the date of the most recent incremental file included in the package.

All other things being equal, a single large file will normally take up a little less disk space than the same data in numerous small files, so I'd like to keep an eye out for updated cumulatives as they become available. Now there doesn't seem to be any way to check except by downloading and installing the total database and see what it does.

Thanks and best,
    Mike

2. steveke

steveke Registered Member

When a fresh cumulative file has been issued, the "daily signatures" download will be the same size as the "full database" download.

I noticed this when 1710 had come out and someone,who did not know about it, had asked why their daily signature download was taking as long as a full database download.

I am not certain-but I think just using the (auto)update feature to download a cumulative update will get rid of the small files entered before the cumulative update-I used it and do not have any files before 1710 in my Ewido signature folder. This would make sense as the full and daily seem to be identical for several days after the cumulative.

3. MikeBCda

Thanks steveke -- it hadn't occurred to me that the "last few days" one would include a new cumulative if appropriate. So I'll check on file sizes there every so often.

Oh, and obviously my (human) memory's shot -- my last cumulative is to 1710, obviously, not 1910. :oops:

(Edit) And about your last point -- yes, when I installed the new (1710) cumulative, it did wipe out all the individual incrementals up to that point as no longer needed.

4. steveke

steveke Registered Member

I had the advantage of having the signatures folder open while typing my response.

I was noticing that there was 54 updates in the 42 days since 1710-so you are right they do add up quick between cumulatives. Although they are the only autoupdate I allow to auto download-because it is so quick.

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have 55 updates (including todays), is there a limit on the number the folder can hold. When it gets big can you prune the size safely.

6. MikeBCda

Just before the 1710 cumulative, I'd had something like 300+ (maybe it was 400+) incremental files. And unless you're running under some OS I'm not familiar with, or are very tight on disk space, there's no practical limit to how many.

I imagine they issue a fresh cumulative when the number of incrementals gets outrageous, plus of course they've got the time to do it.

(Edit) Whoops, forgot your other question. I imagine you need all def files, either included in a cumulative or issued individually afterwards. If there's any gaps in the middle, ewido will probably give you an error message (or maybe even crash), and you'll then have to use that cleaner tool and re-update.

7. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

If a definition file is missing, it will not crash but simply download it with the next online-update again.

8. MikeBCda

Thanks for the info, Peter. I always assumed that updating simply checked for anything new after the latest we have, but it's nice to learn that it also checks for anything missing prior to that.

9. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It even checks if a part of the program has been modified and if so, the damage components will be downloaded and installed again. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.