How to speed up Boot and Logon time for XP (other than nlite)?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wearetheborg, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

How to speed up Boot and Logon time for XP (other than reinstalling via nlite)?
    I found reference to TuneXP and to Bootvis, but they are old programs, and are not working properly on my system(this is a warning to others). Well Bootvis reduced my bootup time by 10 secs, but it is giving error on collecting the trace file.

I now take around 65 secs (from the boot OS menu) to when I am logged in), on a core2duo processor laptop. No AV (but I have Online armor, and sandboxie)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Puran defrag's PIOZR option really does make some difference on XP boot time.

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

By far the greatest impact on bootup time comes from your startup autoruns. Review them and disable any/all which are not vital to your actual needs. ;)

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have read a few reports of Puran's Boot time defrag with PIOZR enabled corrupting some system files. Any one here who uses Puran experienced that problem?

5. wearetheborg

I used that, it made no difference to the boot time.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

7. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Yeah, not much you can do than trying to weed out some of your autoruns at system start, you can defrag as much as you want, it won't make difference, definatelly not if there are many HUGE (anti-virus, Comodo IS, security suites) starting automatically, you can never expect any real lightning system startup.

8. wearetheborg

9. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

How long does it take to boot without Online Armor? I tried that out a few years ago and it increased boot time by quite a bit, at least it did back then. It may have improved in the meantime.

Take a look at blackviper.com and his list of services with descriptions. A lot of services can be turned off on home standalone computers that aren't necessary if you have no network or file and print sharing. I also kill startups for junk like the Realtek Soundmanager, ATI hotkeys, ATI Smart, Java quick start and update scheduler, etc. Download Sysinternals Autoruns and you can see how many autorun objects there are. You can also use this to turn them off.

10. ABee

ABee Registered Member

65 seconds from boot to desktop is pretty good. In the great scheme of things, how much better is 55 seconds? Chances are the pr0n is still going to be available for download in ten more seconds, know what I mean? ;)

Having some concern about wanting to lose unnecessary startup items is good.
    Fighting tooth-and-nail, trying anything under the Sun in order to lose ten seconds of boot-time so that a machine boots in 55 seconds rather than 65 seconds seems perhaps not the best use of time and efforts.

Just a thought.

11. wearetheborg

I'll check without OA; I have also turned off many of the services. Now, the boot+logon time is ~50-52 seconds (with OA on)

12. wearetheborg

True dat, true dat :p

13. wearetheborg

Tried without OA, a bit faster, maybe by 3-4 seconds, not more than that. Glad to see OA is not being too heavy (I have the free version).

14. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

If you're around 50-52 seconds now, that seems pretty normal to me. The crate I use most of the time boots from power button to logged in desktop in ~45 seconds, but it isn't a laptop. You most likely have a 5400 RPM drive rather than 7200 RPM, which could make a difference. I wouldn't worry about, there are people that turn theirs on before going to bed so that it's finally booted when they come home from work the next day.

15. wearetheborg

Yeah, its a 5400 rpm 160gb HDD in a laptop.
    BTW, I'm counting time from when the OS menu appears and I select windows (its triple booted).

:D :D

16. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.