how to securely wipe swap file?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TheMozart, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

how to securely wipe swap file in vista?

cheers.:thumb:

2. x942

x942 Guest

I recall from your previous posts you are using Full Disk Encryption. One thing I like to do is enable Windows Vista/7 policy in gpedit or via registry. The setting forces windows to wipe (i believe it zeros it out) the swap file on shutdown.

There is a guide here

Please note the "why disable" part. I definately noticed about a 2 min lag during shutdown doing this. It all depends on the size of the file.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

If you have enough ram and you don't use it all up you don't need Swap, so that really will take care of this problem... ;)

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I removed Full Disk TC Encryption ages ago.

Anyone know how I can securely wipe the Vista swap file?

5. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Here's what I would do:

1. Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced system settings | Performance: Settings | Advanced | Virtual Memory: Change

2. Set C: to "no paging file" (assuming C: is the letter of your system drive)

3. Reboot

4. Use your wiping software to securely erase C:\pagefile.sys

6. x942

x942 Guest

What I said still works in vista. What version do you have? Home?

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you are that worried about your Windows swap file, consider using Linux.

8. box750

box750 Registered Member

I know ProtectStar Data Shredder (Pro version) can securely wipe your swap file in Vista, I have used it before, it wipes the swap file after rebooting your computer before Windows logs in and it takes a few minutes.

But the software isn't free, I seem to recall they have a fully functional two weeks trial if you only want to do it once.

9. caspian

caspian Registered Member

BCWipe offers a solution

http://www.jetico.com/wiping-bcwipe/

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

From just about any Linux Live CD with the ntfs-3g package installed (in order to access an NTFS drive provided Vista is installed on an NTFS partition) +its dependent packages (where no hard drives are mounted), you can use the package manager to install the secure-delete package and then use the sswap (secure swap wiper) command from a Terminal command line window to wipe swap memory for Vista where swap memory is defined by a swap device aka a devicename associated with a swap partition (volume).

After you install the secure-delete package, use the command:
    $ man sswap
    to read the man page for the sswap command (how to issue the command with parameters).

-- Tom

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I'm with DasFox on this one ;)

No Swap = :thumb: I've been using my comps this way since 98SE days, with NO problems at all :)

12. x942

x942 Guest

Source

Read the links provided. Some may be dated but should still be taken into consideration when disabling swap/page file

13. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ x942

Appreciate the heads up, but i did know about it :thumb: Might be useful for others though ;)

But in my experience over 6 years on 2 OS's with NO swap/page, i found such info BS :p Eg. NO disk thrashing etc whatsoever !

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm with Clone. I have always turned off my swap file since wayyy back and have never had a problem. With my main laptop - which is fully encrypted, I left the swap file on, but then again - the whole thing's locked up.

I also have an XP netbook with only an Atom processor and I have never run it with a swap file. It still runs fine.

Many computers, never a swap file and I've never had a problem.

And by the way, along the same lines, I always, always turn off hibernation. (Very important for privacy!)

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I guess it depends on the amount of RAM you have installed whether you turn off the swapfile or not. If you have less than 512MB, there may be an argument for keeping it.

I've also read [in relation to XP] that some games require swap space to run, no matter how much RAM you have. There are even stories of sound cards not working properly in some games with no swapfile.

16. x942

x942 Guest

Glad to here! I run linux and run into issues if I disable swap ( Programs seem to expect swap on linux). Instead I have it on a deferent encrypted partition that is re-encrypted with a random key on reboot.

On windows I just have it wipe on shutdown using the method I posted above.

17. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Home.

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I only got 2GB Ram. Can I run Vista with NO swap file?

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

2GB is to small, if you had at least 3-4GB it would be better...

3GB is still cutting it close depending on what you do with your computer, but in most situations it will be enough...

Swap is just virtual memory, if you have enough memory you don't need virtual memory.

So you need more ram or you'll have to keep it...

21. x942

x942 Guest

Well that will be a little harder. You will have to dig into the registry and enable the options. Disabling it may be easier.

22. x942

x942 Guest

Not sure about windows but my Linux box is sitting here using 16% of my 4GB RAM and never even touches swap even when playing games etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.