How to schedule a non-background (non-silent) scan?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by lornez, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lornez

lornez Registered Member

Ive followed blackspears thread on extra settings to configure my copy of nod32. he shows how to schedule a background scan by creating a new scanning task and following his settings. now, how would one go about scheduling a scan where i can see whats happening/pause/etc?
    Thanks, Lorne.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Lorne, the first scheduled scan in the Tutorial can be stopped, paused and quit, the silent scheduled one can't.

Cheers :D

3. lornez

lornez Registered Member

hey, i tried the first method also (as i was reading the tutorial) but it also produced a background scan... any ideas?

4. Blackspear

Maybe version 3.0 ;) :D

5. lornez

lornez Registered Member

joking aside, even without any of those command line things put in it still starts up a background scan.. im in vista.

6. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

When scheduling it try to set it up as an exrternal application and point it to C:\Program Files\ESET\nod32.exe.

Does that make the GUI accessible during the scan?

BFG

7. lornez

lornez Registered Member

no that doesnt work, that is one of the ways in blackspears thread, but they both produce background scans with no gui but the process is running in task manager.

8. Blackspear

No, the first scan will pop up on screen, and it can be paused or quit, hence the use of the second silent scan that can not be stopped if this was the requirement.

9. jonbonjovi

jonbonjovi Registered Member

I have the same problem with Vista Ultimate 32bit: a scheduled COMMAND LINE scan runs as a background one and it doesn't scan anything!! (or so says the nod 32 log..).

to partially fix this, I scheduled a silent scan, so it does scan files, but i can't stop/pause it..:blink: :blink:

10. lornez

lornez Registered Member

exactly.. i am not crazy blackspear i just want the software i purchased to work correctly.. any further ideas?

11. jonbonjovi

at least I'm not the only one :doubt:

12. lornez

lornez Registered Member

well now that he knows its not purely user error something should start to get done. by the way, if i navigate and open nod32.exe manually the on-demand scanner menu pops up correctly but it does not start an automatic scan, so maybe its the program that launches it doing so incorrectly (i dont know much about computers).

thanks in advance, lorne

13. jonbonjovi

exactly..same thing for me :blink:

14. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I have a similar situation. Everytime I do a reboot NOD 2.7 automatically scans my files. I find this unnecessary, but cannot find a way to shut it off. I am using 32-Bit Vista HP.

15. jonbonjovi

I think you should open a new thread, because this one's title is not appropriated for your trouble..;)

16. LoPhatPhuud

LoPhatPhuud Spyware Fighter

I used BlackSpear's automated installation process to install NOD32 v2.7 b32 on two computers, both running XP Pro. The scheduled weekly scan was setup per Blackspear's first set of instructions. Both computers run the scan at the scheduled time and popup the progess window at the start.

I upgraded my Desktop to Vista Ultimate and now the weekly scan is running in the background! It was unchanged and I know the settings were working and are identical to the laptop running XP Pro.

In addition the scan finds the Ask toolbar in the Nero install package. No alert is generated, but another scan process is started about 20 minutes after the scan is finished remains with a status of 'waiting' until reboot, when it goes to '
    completed'.

It is more of an annoyance for me. I plan to delete the scheduled scan and just do a manual In Depth scan every week for the time being.

17. jonbonjovi

I guess this is the proof of uncompatibility with vista..:thumbd: :thumbd:

18. LoPhatPhuud

I don't think its the proof of any such thing. NOD32 runs fine with Vista. The scheduled scan issue is an annoyance. Since I upgraded to XP Pro to Vista, I have not found out if the problem was a result of the upgrade.

First step is to delete the scheduled scan and re-enter. Then see if that runs in background as well. Even if it does, I can delete it and do an In Depth scan manually until the issue is resolved, or I go to version 3.

19. jonbonjovi

for me..the compatubulity should be total..not partial, anyway..no problem, I'll wait for eset to ;) fix that

20. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Lorenz,
    I have a client (2.70.32) that actively (on-screen, in my face) scans itself each Sunday at 0900hrs. It has done this since I started using nod32.
    What settings/switches would you like to know?
    Believe my settings are:
    nod32 system tools
    Scheduler/Planner
    "Weekly Scan of C drive"
    task: execution of an external application
    scheduled: 09:00:00 on the following days: Sunday
    In case it fails to be performed at the scheduled time:
    Task will be run if it has not run in the last 400 hours.
    Special task settings: NOD32.exe

Have not figured out how to tell nod32 to do "all drives" yet, but, time will do this. Still playing with it.
    So far, so good. Each Sunday at 0900 this client's C drive is foreground scanned. I can watch it happen, even. :thumb:
    Best,
    Duncan

21. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

According to the tutorial, I believe all you need to do is add the "/local" switch in the “Command line”. Using that switch will scan all of your hard drives.

22. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

Prius04,
    You are so correct. The scan does actually do both /local drives. My bad, to, because what I referred to before was my own text label for this scan. I've now changed it "Scan local HDs."
    Thank you.
    Best,
    Duncan

23. LoPhatPhuud

Cosmo32,

Just to confirm, which version of Vista are you using? Did you install NOD32 after Vista?

The local drive scan that I scheduled is taken straight from Blackspear's instructions. As a double check, I deleted the current scheduled scan, and created a new one set to run the next afternoon. It ran, but in the background again.

I already had NOD32 installed in XP Pro and then upgraded to Vista Ultimate. I wonder if the problem only occurs for those upgrading?

24. jonbonjovi

no, that's not the problem, I installed Vista on a new partition and only after I'va installed nod32..and it doesn't work..

25. Cosmo32

Cosmo32 Guest

LoPhatPhuud,

My bad. After reading the threads, I suppose this glitch seems to be focused on Vista. I use Win2KPro and XPpro and have not noticed this behavior. I missed this Vista focus before I responded. Sorry... :oops:
    Best,
    Duncan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.