How to master Linux the proper way

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My latest Netrunner Magazine article. So let me ask you a question. In order, for you, to become a master of Linux, there are two things that need to happen. One, you need to invest time studying Linux. Two, you need to do it the right way. Now, a six hundred and eight dollar question. What is the right way?

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=3432

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Hmm. This is food for thought.

I've been using Linux almost exclusively for ~8 years, and experimenting a lot with it, but don't consider myself anything close to a master. In my case that's perfectly warranted; I've got a long list of things I definitely know too little about, and there are undoubtedly many more that I know nothing about whatsoever.

OTOH, I know very experienced sysadmins who still don't claim "mastery." The last fellow I worked for cut his teeth on VMS, and was one of the most humble people I've met.

I guess my 2c is that an IT professional should always be willing to learn more; and always know, and be willing to admit, that they can. Even if it makes them look stupid.

But needless to say, I haven't mastered that. ;)

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

Great article! Lucky me, I started with Redhat, after a long career with Unix internals.

-- Tom

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Nice read. Not sure if I have the patience to learn linux in so much detail. Lets face it, Im an ex-windows user.
    But I think one of obstacles is getting a nice read that would take me from point A to point Z (yes Z not B). Something that is step by step with assumption you have zero knowledge. Too often I find guides on the net that assume you know stuff...
    And sad to say, I use linux as a consumer. I copy and paste commands that I don't always understand to try to get things to work. Eventually I find solutions. I wish there was an easy way to connect the practical and the textbook knowledge beyond linux.
    Anyways, im grateful for those that can truly master this OS and make things work for users like me.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Must agree.

It's so well appreciated and then some.

I only wish i had spent as much time learning Linux ins and outs that i spent chasing after Windows workings all this time.

The age old addage however still applies. "Better late then never"

EASTER

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I have affection for linux and a definite disposition for 'lazy admin'.
    A win for sure, if only for what GJ already mentioned;
    Nice article Mrk, like your pieces on virtualization on linux have offered a step forward.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

8. inka

inka Registered Member

I'll respectfully disagree on this point. Expecting a new student to also deal with setting up and managing a VM environment is counterproductive. That invites frustration by introducing additional complexity (as well as seemingly-inexplicable quirkiness). Installing to real hardware and learning hands-on using a real environment is preferable, IMO.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

And how many people have six spare laptops or desktops for testing?
    Mrk

10. inka

inka Registered Member

o_O
    6x 4Gb of still-available space on hdd to house additional linux partitions? pendrives?

In the end, it's all good. I know your heart's in the right place & I do appreciate your passion.

11. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I also experiment with Linux distros using virtualization, but as inka said, a new student might not be able to discern (at first) between the problems caused by a misconfigured Linux and an incompatibility between the VM and the Linux distro that he or she is trying to learn. So, depending on everyone's computer skills, they should choose either VM or direct installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.