How to make avast work nicely with OA Free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mattdocs12345, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Which components of Avast are compatible with Online Armor free?
    Should I disable:
    - Web Shield?
    - Network Shield?
    - Behavioral Blocker?
    I know OA has Web Shield of its own. Are these similar?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't know which way you want to go, but when I installed those 2, I did notice quite a slowdown in browsing. Not sure which was responsible, or if there was a conflict, but typically, Avast's web shield is very good, and has no impact on browsing by itself. I would disable the OA web stuff, however, I didn't see any obvious way to do that. Maybe someone else knows how... Other than that, they both seemed to get along fine..

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I listed both my Outpost firewall and Avast as exceptions on each others settings. I never had a conflict. I would guess OA would work too.:)

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think I saw something like that posted somewhere recently too. That would probably do it. :)

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

6. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I have never been able to get avast and OA play well...OA never worked well with avast on my machine for some reason,it used to always caused BSOD's :rolleyes:

7. guest

guest Guest

Avast is has web filter, OA has a DNS checker/blocker; both work differently so they are compatible but it not meant you will not have slowdown.

avast has a BB , OA an HIPS , again they are different system so still compatible.

finally , you have nothing to disable since nothing will conflict between them. you will have mostly overlapping features.

one day for the fun i did that

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I ran those 2 just fine.I made the mutual exclusions and i turned off the OA webshield within the main interface.If running with sandboxie i made sure that avast and OA were checked in the internet access and software compatibility sections.

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

additional to exclusions disable sandbox in avast - or hips in OA (program guard)

10. aztony

aztony Registered Member

After the release of Avast 7 it began to destabilize my firewall (Privatefirewall) causing it to shut down. After talking to Greg at Privacyware and trying a few things, which did not solve the problem, I reluctantly uninstalled PF and installed OA. My XP desktop's performance took a nose dive. Opening programs/files/webpages took all day to load. I ended up sh*tcanning Avast & OA. I reinstalled PF and added AVG as my A/V. No issues since.

Athlon 64x2 dual core 2.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Win 7 32bit, AVG 2013, Privatefirewall, Winpatrol+, Zemana anti-keylogger

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  11. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

I've had so many issues with avast that I dumped it for Avira free with it's web shield enabled. It works great with OA with no slowdowns.

12. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

In Avast set Global Exclusions for oascan.exe, OAsrv.exe, oaui.exe.

Set no exclusions for Avast in OA.
    In Programs sort by name and check for and set allow & trust all Avast including the grey (absent) avast.setup.
    Firewall:
    avast.setup TCP OUT 80
    AvastEmUpdate.exe TCP OUT 80
    AvastSvc.exe TCP OUT 80,443
    AvastSvc.exe TCP BOTH 12080 (for OA Premium, set endpoint 127.0.0.1)
    AvastUI.exe TCP OUT 80, 443

No need to disable anything in either app. Works like super-dooper woo ha.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  13. The Red Moon

Thats an av shutting it down.Hate to think what malware could do.

14. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That's why avast is no longer on my pc's, because the A/V became in essence the malware. PF has self-protection, you can't even kill PF in task manager, and if you try the system will lock for a period of time. But in came avast, not only did it screw up PF, but basically every program and app on the system failed to start when asked, or shut down inexplicably while running. A total disaster.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. The Red Moon

I have tried the new avast 8 a couple of times,but unfortunately it was interfering with my network connection and websites were timing out.I thought at first it might be my signal strength,but when i installed comodo again the browsing was just fine.
    So it was goodbye to avast.:'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.