How to get unique backup filename?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kneighbour, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kneighbour

kneighbour Registered Member

I am looking at TI Enterprise Server 9, and while it seems ok, one big problem seems to be that when you backup it always overwrites the last backup done.

Ie, when you do (say) a full backup of a bunch of files to a remote FTP site, you must specify a destination filename. This is not what I want - I want to have a series of backups (say 1-20), with each backup having a different filename. Perhaps each filename would have the date of the backup.

Since this seems such an obvious feature that even the cheapest backup software can do, I am thinking that I am missing something.

The only way I can see to do it is with post commands - do something with batch files, etc. This is not terribly easy with a remote FTP site, but I guess I could work it out.

I have seen a suggestion that I create a different task for each filename required - but that is not much good eaither. How can I get the filename to reflect the data it was done? Plus I may have to generate 20 or so tasks (depending on how many backups I want) for each backup - a ludicrous situation.

Is there a way to do it?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kneighbour,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

For automatic management of backup naming and storage we may recommend you to use Acronis Backup Server component. For detailed explanations and instructions on setting up and maintaining Acronis Backup Server please see chapter 3.5 "Acronis Backup Server" and 4.5 "Managing backup server" of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. z242

z242 Registered Member

In the current version of Enterprise Server, you can put the string "[date]" (without the quotes) in the file name, and it will replace that string with the current date. (The documentation actually says date and time, and it might do that, but when I use the identical feature on Workstation, it enters only the date.) The names of incremental and differential backups can then be automatically generated from the full backup name. None of this requires using the Backup Server. However, if you do use the Backup Server, it is the backup locations feature that will allow automatic file naming.

Backups are also named automatically if you use the Acronis Secure Zone, which also does not require the Backup Server.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello z242,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that the feature to use "[date]" string in backup names was only implemented in Acronis True Image Echo series. It's not present in Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server.

Please also be aware that Acronis Secure Zone cannot be used on a FTP server, which kneighbour uses.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. z242

z242 Registered Member

The "[date]" feature is documented in the manual for Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server, which I assume is the current version and the successor to Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server. Is this incorrect?

6. bicycle_minden

bicycle_minden Registered Member

what about on True Image Echo Server for Windows? I'm on day one of a 15 day trial and have never used this version of Acronis before so I am a newbie!

We got trial license keys from an Acronis rep so we could have the fully-unlocked version to test.

I'd like to have unique file names much like what ntbackup does

7. z242

z242 Registered Member

According to the manual, it should work.

8. bicycle_minden

bicycle_minden Registered Member

thanks...I found the manual download link and it answered many of my questions. I've made the changes and hopefully I'll get a good report in the AM.

You guys are great!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.