How to get Eset to allow IE7 to work after installation of Patch KB963027 ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by witschey, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. witschey

witschey Registered Member

I installed Microsoft's "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista" The official patch number is: KB963027

After installing that update Internet Explorer 7 will NOT work if Eset Smart Security firewall is turned on. Even though I have the firewall setup in "Interactive Mode", I haven't been asked to approve any connection.

After the KB963027 patch it is simply impossible to navigate to ANY web page what-so-ever if the Eset Smart Security Firewall it turned on. If I turn off the Eset firewall, IE 7 works perfectly.

If anybody has been able to solve the 'mistery' of what rule/rules we need to add to Eset's firewall in order to IE 7 to work again, I would appreciate it if you could share them with us.

2. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Maybe you need to uninstall then reinstall that Security Update.

I haven't experienced any problems with the latest Windows Updates/IE or ESS.

3. witschey

I uninstalled the security update several days before posting the message. That is how I noticed that it was THIS particular patch KB963027 that was causing the problem.

As soon as I removed the patch the problem was SOLVED. When I re-installed THIS patch KB963027 again, the problem came back (unable to open ANY webpage from IE 7).

I then proceeded to see if Firefox was able to open webpages. IT IS able to do so; even with patch KB963027 installed.

I then turned off the ESET firewall (leaving virus protection on), and IE 7 was able to access ALL webpages, as normal.

So that is how I arrive at the conclusion that it is something within ESET that is preventing IE 7 from working properly AFTER KB963027.

I have NOT had any problems with ANY other Microsoft Patch; only this one.

Since it is a cumulative security patch it is important. I can't ignore it.

For your information I am using ESET Smart Security version 3.0.684.0; perhaps the issue doesn't happen with version 4; but it DOES with version 3 running in Interactive mode. Can somebody provide me with a solution?

I am thinking that if were able to determine what ports are used by IE 7 when the firewall is turned off, and I could somehow figure out what ports and or protocols are being used by IE 7 when the firewall is turned ON; I could perhaps figure out what port / protocoal is being blocked by ESET firewall, which is causing the problem. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that. Perhaps somebody can help.

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Are you getting any entries in your ESS 3 Firewall Log?

I would think, since you're running with the Firewall in Interactive Mode, that you'd be getting popups from the Firewall for Allow/Deny...?

Have you tried putting the Firewall in Automatic Mode?

How about in your Web Access protection>Web Browsers? Is IE checked for Content Filtering? How about Active Mode?

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Okay.

At the moment I am using one of my tennant's computer. He has ESS 3.0.672. I just finished installing all the latest Windows Updates which includes KB963027.

This is the first website I came to since the Windows Updates. Didn't have any problems.

6. witschey

No allow/deny pop ups at all from running the firewall in interactive mode.

Haven't tried putting it in automatic mode, will try that next.

Yes, I have Web Access Protection turned on; and IE is checked for content filtering. Active mode is not being used by any of them. Any recommendations for how to setup web access protection and active mode?

7. witschey

By the way, I just accessed the advanced setup of ESET and I have noticed that "Web Access Protection", "Content Filtering" and "Active Mode" are all a sub-set of "Antivirus and Antispyware". In my case it is the "Personal Firwall" component of ESET that is preventing me access to webpages with IE 7. I dissabled the "Antivirus and Antispyware" completely while leaving the "Personal Firewall" ON and I still can't access any webpages. If I turn the "personal firewall" off, while leaving the "antivirus and antispyware" ON, IE 7 has no problems.

8. witschey

Just tried the firewall in automatic mode and it does not ask me to allow/deny IE 7. IE 7 still doesn't display any webpages at all.

9. witschey

For those facing this issue, I have now SOLVED the problem. I basically deleted ALL rule settings in my firewall, and I am starting to create new rules form scratch through the 'interactive mode'.

The process to delete all rules and revert to the default configuration is detailed here:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN941

By doing this you will loose any custom rules that you have setup. For example I am loosing the rules that allow my PC to work with a Vista Media Center Extender, and I will have to set them up again from scratch and manually (since ESET doesn't do a good job of incorporating all of them automatically or even in interactive mode).

However at least through this process you will be 'up to date' with the Microsoft patches (which seem to come by the dozen per fortnight!), and IE 7 will work.

10. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Dang it!

I missed that you were using Vista from the very beginning.

Sorry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.