How to disable all ports?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by invaderz, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaderz

invaderz Registered Member

I want to disable all ports...

Then I want my windows firewall to ask me to allow a program in or out of the computer by adding an exception. This opens only the port that is needed.

This should prevent a hackers bot computer from being able to prob my connection and find a weak spot right? All they could do would be to attempt to inject code into the files I'm downloading since there is no way they will be attentively awaiting my connection to the internet themselves.

Anyone know if I'm on the right track? I don't want to download anything I need to do it all from a fresh install of windows 8.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi invaderz,

All you need to do is to insure that all of your ports are Stealthed, not disable them. If all of your ports are Stealthed then for anyone scanning them - you are not a target of opportunity and interest to them and then they seek out another computer for its vulnerabilities.

Check out your ports for Stealth at https://www.grc.com/default.htm following the Shields Up! link, and on that webpage you will find the internal website link for the Shields Up! testing which is an https link (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2) where you will be able to start testing your ports for being Stealthed or not. Note: you must get there from visiting the main web page at grc.com/default.htm (just click on Shields Up!) or you will get a "Browser Reload Supress" webpage presented if you attempt to go there directly.

Also, check out the article Nmap for Beginners – Network & Port Scanning made easy.

You should also, use the probes available at: Test Your Firewall in order to test your computer.

-- Tom

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  3. invaderz

invaderz Registered Member

Hey... thanks.

Those are pretty cool tests... makes me think... Would I be more secure through some kind of program that would do all the stealthing / blocking for me?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi invaderz,

Yeah, they are kinda cool. When setting up my Fios router for Linux, I found out that the results when running Nmap on your computer locally to test your ports returns results that are misleading as to what is really stealthed from the outside as opposed to using the external link for Test Your Firewall which put me on the right track.

I have never heard of any program that would automagically do all of the stealthing/blocking for a user. Make sure you test out all of your ports from the external link (Test your Firewall) - some 64K of them so you know which ones are listening on which ports for traffic of a kind.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.