How to detect if you are possibly a keylogger victim?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by strwberryiqourcake, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strwberryiqourcake

strwberryiqourcake Registered Member

HI there fellas,

I just read an article about remotely installing a keylogger which worried me a lot (you send someone a file which has e kaylogger attached to it). If this is so easy to do and hardly detectable using UD-crypter or some other encrypter to encrypt the keylogger which is then merged to a file (jpeg or other). How would one know or find out if they are already possibly a victim by this kind of threat?

Some dude sent me a screenshot of a comment he made on some forum. it was a small jpeg file. I could send it to anyone who cares for testing if that is possible. But it did struck me as a bit weird he made a screenshot of some comment he made for me but was later removed. and sent my by pm-messaging. But I still opened it.

Machiel

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

You could try running the free version of Malwarebytes, and Hitman Pro to see if it detects anything. They are good on-demand scanners for detecting keyloggers. Also you may run some port scanners on your machine to see if you have any odd open ports. I have Webroot Secure Anywhere on all my machines, and it is very good for detecting keyloggers. It is not free though.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Perhaps Spyreveal,also not free.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET does detect many keylogging programs.

If you are using NOD32 v2.x, though (this is the support section for that version) than you should upgrade to ESET NOD32 Antivirus v5, which is the latest version of the software. The upgrade is free to ESET's customers and can be downloaded from ESET's web site at www.eset.com.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. I don't know if this will help but you can use Emsisoft HijackFree or similar software. Then you can check if you have a keylogger onboard.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I agree about SpyReveal.
    It should be noted that it is a niche product, good for detecting commercial monitoring software, which many anti-malware programs will not detect.
    Currently, SpyReveal's database contains signatures for 772 spy programs.

Edit in: Thought I should note that I uninstalled SpyReveal tonight due to it being flagged by several scanners.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.