How to delete 'Legacy' registry entries?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm having problems deleting a legacy registry entry even though I changed the permissions on it in the registry it's still not letting me delete on XP Pro SP3.

Anyone know anything about this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141555

So I found this post and tried this, but it's not working:

Re: How to delete 'Legacy' registry entries?
    Download PsExec from http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/psexec.html

Create a folder in your Program Files folder and name it PsExec. Place the psexec file in the folder. Create a batch file by opening Notepad and copying and pasting the following line into it :

Start "" "c:\Program Files\PsExec\psexec" -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe

Save the file as PsExec Regedit.bat (the important thing is the .bat extension.)

When you click on the .bat file you've created it will open regedit in such a way that you should be able to delete the legacy keys.

Even from the cmd prompt I ran, psexec -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe

And it didn't let me delete a legacy entry either... :(

THANKS

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What OS and what happens when you tried to follow the instructions? What legacy keys are you trying to remove (even if it is not necessary to do so)?

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The registry opens and when I try to delete the key I get, 'Cannot delete, error while deleting key', as a popup message.

I said XP Pro SP3 above... :)

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what keys are you trying to remove then?

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Legacy key related to Avast 5 I had installed then removed....

By the way what's PowerPrompt all about? I tried using it also with no luck.

Do you simply click on the file then open the registry in it?

The README says:

SOLUTION: Run PowerPrompt. From the System console run
    the registry editor (RegEdit).

I take it running PowerPrompt is clicking it?

System console?

THANKS

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You take - running PP requires you place, or save it on your path - sys32.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't understand why you want to delete it anyway. It's not hurting anything leaving it there. I remember once trying to do the same thing with some other keys, and ended up just leaving them. No harm....

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Registry cleaning is just a hype that causes more grief than anything. In years of running NT or WinXPx64, I never ever touched the registry but then if one is into trying out programs and removing them, I can see the issue there and justification in registry cleaning. Unfortunately the registry is such a complex beast that even MS can't seem to tame it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  10. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I just placed it on my desktop....

You mentioned running it, well is that clicking it or running it from the cmd prompt?

THANKS....

P.S. I know about reg cleaning and all the hype, don't need any lessons, please stick to the topic, I just want to get it out is all, because I was having some problems.... THANKS :)

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well this is goofy I was given a error about deleting then I rebooted and looked through the reg for the word Avast this time and it didn't find anything....

All I can say is odd, because if it was deleting it then I don't get why it gave me an popup error message....

Anyhow I'm done for now...

THANKS guys....

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I don't have avast installed (to check), but you can try this (at least the next time, as it seems you resolved this): device manager->show hidden devices and then look for any avast leftovers in "non plug'n'play drivers". R-click and uninstall them.

13. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Did you take ownership first, then select/check Everyone for full control?

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yep, that is how you do it. Want some real fun? Try to build your own .inf file to install an anti-virus product. Now that is how you learn, take it from me lol.

BTW, very important, DON'T FORGET TO SET THOSE RIGHTS BACK TO SYSTEM ONLY !!!
    (bad stuff can happen, again, take it from me ;) )

Sul.

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I take ownership of just the keys I wish to delete without going any higher in the reg tree. For instance, in the case of Avast which may have five drivers etc.. installed and left behind, I do them one at a time til they're gone. Now, here comes the million dollar question that I have no doubt you can answer for me. What if I wanted to re-install in the future, in this case again Avast, would the system see the full control for everyone or would it be just like prior to deletion and having had to take ownership + full control to delete them(limited rights)? <-- I hope that made sense

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It is a good question.

Typically if you delete a directory or key, it is gone. When you create it anew, it does not recieve anything but what it inherits from its parents.

Thus, if you create them yourself, they should recieve whatever restrictions the parent had, which is to disallow everyone modification.

Most of the time you use an installer such as InstallShield to install such things as AV or Firewall. They hook themselves in pretty good with thier drivers and all. In the installer are options that allow it to have the rights over those keys. Making your own installer requires you to manually set the permissions.

You are spot on, about not changing the parent key being the safest generally. However, I do just that, because that way I always change one key, and then when I set it back, I have not forgotten a single key somewhere else.

Few people I ever talk to care much about these types of topics. Most people don't have a need to go into those areas of the registry, and really they shouldn't, it is not the same as an applications configuration and settings might be.

Sul.

17. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I do. I can't contribute much to the topic of it but I have always enjoyed reading and learning from your knowledge about it.
    Thanks

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

PowerPrompt helped the best. :)

THANKS

20. GlobalForce

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

22. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm also trying to delete some Legacy registry keys. I may be a little obsessive compulsive here, but I want them gone lol I uninstalled a the newest version of Dekart Private Disk because it stopped functioning. It left an entire screen of legacy entries that i'm positive belongs to this program. Not of the above post seemed to help. I'm searching hard for a solution, and if its possible to resolve then I will do it. Anyone got any other ideals? I'm searching other forums, and the net so if i find the answer before someone here points it out I will post it here. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  23. GlobalForce

I believe Brink's right. From step three pay attention to the steps you won't see.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Yes, Brink was right. I had not taken ownership of the key. I also had to delete each subcontainer separately because the child objects were not inheriting the permissions from the parent objects. I tried several times, and the only way i could make the child object inherit from the parent was to edit each subcontainer separately. I was able to remove them all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  25. GlobalForce

Yes Brink, right alongside ;) Greg S. As far as the additional steps - nothing new when dealing with Microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.