How to convert people to Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's something to spice up your mood, a tongue-in-cheek satirical article elaborating on the humorous and frightening methods of converting Windows users to Linux. Must read for any open-source fanboy. And critics, too.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-convert.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Its not going to happen. Windows users need frightening? I think not.

Linux is a lot of little men trying to compete, and in the process applying a luddite mentality to an amateur product and its marketing.

With the current state of and proliferation of Linux distros. Widows will still be here in full flow in a 100 years.

Linux is the one area of business that time forgot. No focus, no competition no nothing. It is truly a great shame that with all the great minds that can produce half a program, why they cannot come together to produce the other half.

Google is a much greater threat than Linux and they have been here a lot shorter time than Linux.

Terry

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It didn't convert me. ;)

More quickly I'd do some of that stuff to convert them to a safer Windows experience. :)

-edit-

Also, the opposite could happen; 99% sure it would happen - Keeping Windows users Windows users.

How? Install Linux, and don't tell them how to install software. Not as straightforward as it is with with Windows. :D

Better yet, don't install most of the apps Linux distributions comes with. This ought to keep them away.

I got one more - Don't tell users how to make use of a 3G USB Internet connection device. :D

-edit 2-

Sorry, I just thought of another one - I don't think any could beat this one up!

Install them -http://www.slackware.com/ :cool: (There's been a long time, but I still think that it doesn't come with any predefined GUI, does it?)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Just tell people that Windows comes with a free FBI-backdoor, that will atleast get you a few :D

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

No need to Convert, as Millions of [I'll never user Linux] M$ user are now are using Linux everyday without knowing it, with the use of their Android Device. :eek: :D .

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I think some folks missed this part.

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Guess that depends on what you call predefined. After I log in startx launches the GUI I chose during the install. The default is KDE.

Oh wait... you mean... boot start to GUI like Windows don't you? :p ;)

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! I think satire doesn't scan well on Wilders! ;)

"This is not a simple task. In fact, it's almost impossible. Most people are set in their ways and will never budge, no matter what. Even if you provide them with superior alternatives to their software and methods, they will continue doing things the way they always have. This is the reason why people may not appreciate VLC over Windows Media Player, for the simple reason that the latter is not the former, and the former was there first."

Yeah but VLC plays 3gp video files with audio from my mobile phone & WMP doesn't. :cool:

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

And don't forget the Kindle in which it is based on Linux kernel 2.6.26 :)

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It's easier to install software in Linux than Windows -- and it's much safer too.

Like what?

11. chronomatic

It's not an amateur product. Red Hat is a multi-million dollar business. So is IBM and Oracle and Intel and Novell (before acquisition). Google's OS's all are based on Linux. All of these companies (and others) contribute to the Linux code base.

Elaborate a little?

Linux is not a business, it is an operating system kernel. It is not owned by any one entity. And it does fairly well for those who choose to make their business revolve around Linux (Red Hat for instance). It is also used in more servers around the world than Windows is. Indeed, most of the Internet runs on Linux. Google runs on Linux servers as do countless other sites. This notion that Linux is some basement amateur project is completely ludicrous.

You're right -- there is not much competition out there for Linux in server space -- it is pretty dominant.

o_O

Google's Android and Chrome are Linux.

12. chronomatic

And TIVO boxes, all of which run on Linux. DD-WRT and Tomato and other router firmwares are nothing but a striped down Linux kernel. TomTom GPS systems run on Linux, too.

13. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

I used to work with a guy who treated Microsoft like a religion. ANY criticism of ANY aspect of Windows and he would come down on you like a ton of bricks. He saw any distro of Linux as a conspiracy against Microsoft. He yelled at me in front of everyone when he saw that I used Opera as my main browser. He deleted Firefox from the stored applications folder off the server. He also didn't believe in the existence of malware, he believed that scanning tools like HijackThis provided fake log entries as an attempt to discredit Windows as an insecure operating system. Everything to him was a conspiracy against Microsoft and capitalism. One time we had a workstation with PCLinuxOS installed and he uninstalled it and put Windows back on it. :D

Looking back on it, I believe the guy needed therapy. His reactions were a symptom of something else going on.

In reality, the only security problem that was going on was his insecurity. :D

14. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, ParadigmShift

Well that would happens when your Boss is [was] $teve Ballmer. :argh:

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

15. chronomatic

16. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

They must be related.

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo one day M$ will release a version of "Windows" based on the Linux kernel. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.