How to choose and buy security software?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EscapeVelocity, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

So Im starting to get a feel for things, still have a lot of trying and studying to do, but...

All of this stuff is pretty complicated and overwhelming for the general population. There are so many types of security software and also variations within categories and each individual program having its peculiarities within that sub-cat , not to mention suites and anti-virus and firewalls integrating more stuff like HIPS and blocklists into them. Its all very confusing. To top it all off, you have free versions, and trial versions, and paid full programs, and free full programs. Then there is the settings within the programs and learning those, not to mention security settings within browsers and operating systems. Then there is the matter of individual preference for GUI's and interfacing, plus, because of the complexity of individual computers, programs not playing nice with some people and working easy no hiccups or slowdowns with others.

It seems to me that the temptation is to just put on a few of the free versions that you see recommended a lot, because most people dont have the time, interest, patience to wade through all this stuff.

This probably leads to less purchases for the security software providers. I realize that you can get pretty good security for free, but often the paid versions are worth it....if you can manage that minefield I just laid out.

Deep Thoughts with EscapeVelocity

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

some foreword - would be nice if you stay in your other topics which
    concerns same matter - what software for security. so me and other
    might have problems to combine it...:thumbd:

to buy - lol - just use the options of vendor!

to choose - make an backup/image and test the wanted software.
    if you dont like it use the backup to clean up system - none uninstaller
    is perfect. Or in the first use a sandbox or virtual machine.*

* i wrote you that in the other thread - see my foreword. :thumbd:

If software fit your needs - use and/or buy it!

PS i'm more experienced in testing software - to explain what i do here to
    analyze a sandbox would blow up this topic. i can remove software without
    using a backup or image.

PPS pls read this thread - so many hints and useful combinations of security software:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=111264

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  3. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

You may want to slow down a moment and catch your breath ;)

You have been bombarded in your other thread with suggestions for everyone's personal pet security app/combination of security apps. Now trying to sort out all of these possibilities isn't so easy. One ends up like a dog chasing his own tail.

Security != installing applications. Securing your system requires a plan and a concept. For a lot of people here the so-called "layered approach" means installing even more apps. All of these have pros and cons: AVs find a lot of malware but don't detect everything. 99% detection is pretty good, but what happens when the missing 1% hits you?

Answer is you install a HIPS, which is dumb and just blocks everything. Great, but now you have to understand exactly what it's blocking and whether or not you want it. The popups might also be annoying as hell.

Developing the proper paranoia you now also need a "personal firewall", because we don't want our Trojans and keyloggers calling home, so we need to control "outbound". This is of course ridiculous, why do you have Trojans and keyloggers in the first place? Wouldn't it be better not to install them to begin with? On top of this, there is malware around that easily bypasses desktop firewalls, e.g., using BITS. FAIL. Also here you are bombarded with popups.

All of these things eat resources that you could be doing something else with. Considering the "layered approach", start with the simplest layer available to you which consists of features of the OS. I suggested to you not to run as admin. A limited account, a software restriction policy and DEP will probably take care of 99.9% of the common threats out there. It uses no resources, doesn't need to be updated, it's free and is obviously 100% compatible with the OS because it is part of it. Does it get any easier than that? No conflicting kernel hooks, no BSODs, no annoying popups, it just works. Put yourself behind a good router with a firewall and install a lightweight AV of your choice and you'll be good to go.

I've been running like this for a couple of years now and with the AV not even running in real-time. No infections, never been pwned. Consider this a bit more seriously, it could save you money and confusion.

4. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

You have to realize that for a lot of people here this is as much a hobby as anything .
    IMO whether they realize it or not !

So using a free AV is certainly fine.

You have a good idea of the problems of "security software" in your OP , so I'd suggest coming at it from a different angle.
    If you want to understand security properly and get into it as a hobby, I'd suggest starting at the beginning.
    How are people infected ? How can you be infected ? What will you do if that happens ?
    Figure out that and ignore all the different programs for the moment.

Have a look at Rmus's posts.

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Not complicated. User could go with AV and Sandboxie.

Or even more simple, AV, browser with WOT, on-demand with hitman pro and/or malwarebytes.

If you're into 'testing' malware, like many on this forum, of course you'll want all sorts of protection.

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Saraceno is right.
    Sandboxie has a free version which offers excellant protection. The paid version has more options and is a lifetime license.
    You also have Avast, Avira and AVG AV's as well as Panda's cloud AV.
    Prevx 3 is free and so is Hitman Pro. They both require a license for serious cleaning.
    P3 and or HP are used by some in place of an AV.
    So pick an AV and Sandboxie like the man said and then contiue to read and learn.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

7. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Agree with Joeythedude's post. Definitely any post by Rmus is a good learn. Also look over Blue Zanetti's write up. That will give you plenty of information to go on and you can decide on your route from there.

I agree with the statements that some of our security setups are more from the hobby side of the fence and overkill for what you really need.

8. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Thanks Rmus seems to be right on top of the latest attacks. Blue Zanettis write up which can be found linked to from the top forum is fantastic, thanks for directing me there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.