How to backup a hidden share?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Teetime, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teetime

Teetime Registered Member

I am using TI 9.0 and want to backup up a hidden share from another PC on my network. I can't find any way to specify the hidden share in the Backup Source File Specification dialog (since the share is hidden from view). I tried right click/Explore which gives me the Explorer dialog where I can type the UNC for the hidden share, but I don't see any way to transfer this back to the Source File Specification dialog. Is there a way to specify a hidden share for backup?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If your using TI9 Home you can't backup another PC unless TI is installed and run from that PC. If your running TI 9 Workstation I believe you can do what you want.

3. Teetime

I am running workstation but there is no way that I can figure to actually specify a hidden share because TI forces me to select folders/files from a list, rather than letting me type in the UNC name. Am I missing something?

4. Teetime

I misspoke - I am running the HOME version. I read up on workstation's ability to run backups remotely on network PC's, and while useful, it is overkill for what I need. Here is my situation - maybe someone can offer an alternative idea.

I have a laptop and server on my home network. I've relocated the laptop's "My Documents" to the server, and enabled offline files so the laptop keeps a copy of "My documents" for when I go offline. When I reconnect it synchronizes to the server. I use TrueImage on the server to backup the server AND the laptop's "My Documents". Works well, except there are a few file types that don't synchronize well - Access MDB's and Quickbooks/Quicken files. Therefore, I keep these in a separate laptop folder outside of "My Documents". When I run TrueImage backup on the server I would like for it to retrieve the files from that laptop folder. To do this, I have to share the laptop folder. For security reasons, I would like for it to be a hidden share, but as noted before, I can't specify a hidden share in TrueImage backup file selection dialog. If I make it a public share I can specify it in the file selection dialog and the backup works fine. Can anyone suggest a way to backup a hidden share?

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Teetime:

One way you could do this is to use the scripting function in ATI Home. You can specify commands that will execute either before and/or after the backup runs.

So, for example, you could have ATI do this during a backup:

1. Run a batch file that copies the separate laptop folder and its contents to the server. In the batch file you would specify the folder location by UNC path. After the batch file has completed you have the folder on the server.
    2. Back up the server.

Might this work?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Teetime,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that in this case we may recommend you to protect the share with a password instead of hiding it; or set the share access to specific user only. The workaround described by k0lo may also work.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.