How slow should my vpn speed be compared to regular? (MTU issue?)

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by seventeenzeroone, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventeenzeroone

seventeenzeroone Registered Member

My internet speed is about 75 mbps but whenever i use my vpn it drops down to 1 mbps...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I use windows 7.

I've tried looking into in depth but no one can give me a straight answer or course of action.

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Depends on what the provider allocates/promises. I have 35Mbs down, in the clear. With my provider, I get 10Mbs down (they guarantee 4Mbs). Who are you using?

PD

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

For me 1 meg is way too slow. If you have a 75 meg connection how could you "live" with a 1 meg situation?

I use a 50 meg open connection but drop to 4 --- 30 meg VPN connection. Distance to the VPN server has a bunch to do with it. For normal cruising around such as here at Wilder's you have a satisfying experience with something around 5 meg. But 1 meg isn't going to work for what I am used to with page loads, etc..

4. seventeenzeroone

I've used a few (including Xerobank which I am never going back to) and speeds seem the same. None of them seem to ensure speed of service but more so that their vpn works.

5. seventeenzeroone

It's been very difficult but I've had to accept that if I want to use a vpn thus far (speeds are still better than TOR at least!). Online some people seem to suggest it's a MTU issue but they aren't very clear on how to test it with any accuracy.

This forum seems to know the ins and outs of vpns...is this normal or can I just change my MTU setting to fix it?

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I get 2-4 Mbps each way, even with one two-hop VPN service routed through another. That's usually enough for me. If necessary, I can readily max out my cable connection by using multiple VMs, each with its own VPN connection. Although load-balancing across multiple VPN connections works when there are many independent processes, it's useless for individual bandwidth hogs (such as an inner VPN connection).

7. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

seventeenzeroone,

Do you know what connection protocol you are using with your VPN? Is it TCP or UDP, etc...

I find that UDP is faster and there are other advantages to using it.

I would really love to see you figure out why your 75 meg line is getting hammered to 1 meg on a VPN. e.g. - I am in the USA and connected to Vancouver CA (3000 miles away) right now. I am pulling 7.5 meg clean all day long. Nothing special just a openvpn client with a UDP connection.

8. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Router choking? Maybe borrow another router and see. Or flash DD-WRT, OpenWRT or Tomato?

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.