How safe is this... ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SamSpade, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Thanks for all your time, Long View.

Just a quick question re hardware firewall: I am using a D-Link router (614). I have it set up by default; meaning as it came on line I just followed the instructions and let it be, without doing any tinkering (setting of rules, etc.).

Is this still "protecting" me from any attacks? If so, would you be so kind as to explain how (in simple terms)??

As to some of your other points regarding back-up ... very interesting! Would like to talk about that as well later.

SSpade.

/

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have no knowledge of the D-Link router but would guess that the default is just fine. Do you know how to log on and look at the settings ?

Apart from following Instructions the only "fancy" thing I did with the netgear was to check the box to send me an e-mail log every so often.

Apparently if there is a DoS attack or a port scan is detected I an supposed to get an immediate e-mail. After 4 years I'm still waiting. So either the Netgear is broken or no want wants to attack me

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You need to (should) set a Admin password, as well as a wireless passphrase. Open up you browser and type: 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and enter. If you don't already have a Admin password, then just enter Admin for the username, leave the password field blank, and enter. Just navigate around the router's web-based interface and you should be able to find those settings. If it offers WPA-PSK wireless encyption, use that instead of the weaker WEP.

The above instructions work for a DI-624. Hopefully they work for your model.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

to me, the safest, lighest is OA with Antivir and Sandboxie. Beat that!:p

5. SamSpade

Atvantage(s) of antivir over nod32?

" " " " KIS7??

//

6. SamSpade

How is OA fw in leaktests these days?? Significantly better than Jetico 1?

OA's HIPS function(s) much better than SSM or EQSecure??

/

7. SamSpade

Yes, I can log on and look at the settings. There was a set-up wizard that I just followed and did the defaults. I could tinker around with it, but if it ain't broke.... why break it??

Oh, and I made a mistake earlier: I have the 604 D-Link, which is a hard-wire version, not a wireless version.

/

8. SamSpade

Sorry, I did a bad: I don't have the wireless 614; I have the hard-wired 604. So, when I'm on the road, how can I get similar security as a hardware firewall? I'm using Jetico 1 at the moment.

/

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

this recent thread should help. Some very knowledgeable folks have responded to it. I would say your Jetico fw will offer first-rate security, though VPN mentioned in the link is probably your best bet, if you need to send sensitive information "in the clear" and you don't want others to view it.

10. SamSpade

Thanks for your comments... very helpful insights. I will look into the world of VPN set-up.

/

11. SamSpade

Would appear you are a dealer of Avira. OK. Can you give me some reasons to prefer it over nod32 and/or KAV?

Seems like a toss-up re OA and either SSM (full) or EQSec. No?

//

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.