how safe is teamspeak 3?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wutsup, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders, i know this isnt a gaming forum, but its a security related question.

i play on this one game server and while they dont require you to use TS3, i want to be able to hear people talk now since they dont use the ingame VOIP since it sucks.

is teamspeak safe to use? im just worried its not safe because its just another program/port that can be exploited by hackers/malware or what not.

your thoughts would be helpful, thanks, wutsup

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

TeamSpeak has been around for years, it is a known and trusted application. But I'm pretty sure TeamSpeak 3 is still in beta.

3. Craig321

Craig321 Registered Member

Just noticed they've released TeamSpeak 3 properly now, with an interface overhaul (at last!).

I've never had a problem with is myself, and have never heard of any security issues.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Are you a WOW'er? :D If so, if you haven't tested it yourself, the in-game channels are actually quite easy to use and sound just as good. However, that was not your question. Teamspeak is very well trusted, though in recent years Vent has taken quite a few users away. I've not heard of any security issues with either program, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

As with anything, keep your system clean, and nothing will exploit whatever bugs are in the software, and you'll stay safe and sound.

5. SirRobin

SirRobin Registered Member

Its safe ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

While i dont use teamspeak I do use ventrilo they are basically the same and both safe.
    I rent a Ventrilo server for my guild for perfectworld europe.

7. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ah ok ill give it a try maybe, no i dont play wow and i never will lol.

right now im mostly playing arma 2 with ace mod :D :D :D

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

For shame, WOW hater! Lol, glad we could help :)

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have been using TS for years now. Use if for all sorts of 'free voice' purposes, around the world. It is nice having your own server so you can just tell people 'start TS and go to x.x.x.x'.

TS has had a few vulnerabilities that I seem to recall, all were very minor and were fixed in later releases. It has never been in the news much if it ever was seriously compromised. I trust it, both v2 and the new v3. I have had a TS3 server up since they opened the beta to public. I think I am on like version 18 of the server and 20 of the client.

I cannot speak for the TS world maybe, because I keep my server behind a router with strict port management and a firewall with strict rules. But I have used the client without firewall etc, and never seen issue.

TS3 is much nicer than TS2, so many options that are convenient. I do game some (fps) but use it just as much for simple voice comms for family/friends, nephews etc use it, blah blah...

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.