How, or can I even do this?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Slovak, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I hope this is the right area to post this, but what can I do short of logging off windows 2k(and using a password for logging back on) to prevent someone from using my computer? I have tried firewalls and setting them with a password to block all access, but this person knows to just reboot the computer and that resets the block all to my normal settings. I really cannot and do not want this computer logged off while i'm away, any way around this?

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Could you clarify a little further, "this person" is allowed to use the computer? If so, is it just Internet access you wish to deny them? Do they have their own user account?

Regards,

CrazyM

4. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Not allowed to use the computer at all.

5. Beef

Beef Guest

SecureIT Pro - advanced computer access control

click for full size
    Use SecureIt Pro to lock your computer when you re not there. The program comes with a ton of features: Disabling the main Windows key functions, like Ctrl+Alt+Del, Alt+Tab, the Windows key, and the Ctrl+Esc key combination. SecureIt Pro can also disable the Windows boot keys, detect for cold boots, allow other people to leave messages, log incorrect password attempts, or even hide itself every few seconds. The program also includes password reminder options, that can assist you if you ever forget your password, as well as several advanced configuration options as well as a locking screen saver

F R E E W A R E 98/NT/ME/2000

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/secureitpro.html

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

So they have no account or access to a current account on the system?

Is there a particular reason you do not want to log off? Having defined user accounts with passwords are there for that reason, controlling who has access to the system. I always lock or log off my system when not around or using it. This should suffice unless you suspect "this person" is going to try and boot the system from some other media as Close_Hauled referred to.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As you consider all the above suggestions....I suggest you also consider setting a boot password in BIOS.

8. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi CH,

very interesting link you gave. Have you used any of these products yourself? If so, what can you tell me about any of them? That encrypting the whole drive sounds so nice for security reasons. The Secure Surf sounds great, well they all do. Any info you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks

9. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Rilla927

I just sent a request for info to SecureStar to see if it will run with or interfere with Raxco's First Defense, the latter being very possesive of the MBR.

If DCPP works with FD-ISR, then that means I(we?) can have another key layer of security for my(our?) system(s).

Looks awesome, I hope it does!

to Peter2150, have you looked at this?

Jim

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not really, because having access to my computer isn't a problem. Only two other people have access to my apartment, and I totally trust them to use the computers I have if they want too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.