How open .emc extension files with linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Bl**dy hell, I just received an email requesting I complete some tax info - but the form has .emc extension. Googling says this needs the striata reader but I think it's only for Windows. Any ideas ? ( If not I will reply that they should send the form in human readable format :) )

Edit: There is a version for Linux - I will try it but really hate it when institutions foist this type of compulsory download on folks who would never ever have installed such crap of their own free will.

http://www.striata.com/resources/striata-reader/striata-reader-linux-libc5/details.html

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  2. SecExpert

SecExpert Registered Member

You are totally right. This type of information should be handled in a custom cross-platform application or rather through the use of a secure standards compliant website.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ocky, extensions have no meaning in Linux :)

Try file in terminal to determine the right file type.
    Then, you will know what this is about.

file <filename>

Mrk

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I needed to install the flippin striata reader to be able to open the encrypted document in Firefox. This is what I did:

^_^~/Desktop/striata-reader_libc6]$ sudo ./install
    Installing Striata Reader...
    Which browser do you want to use? eg. Type 1 for Firefox
    1. Firefox
    2. Opera
    3. Netscape
    4. Konqueror
    Done
    To execute the Striata Reader run the following command:
    striata-reader EncryptedFile.emc

Decrypting and opening: form.emc
    Password is your ID no:
    Opened in browser.
    When done press enter to cleanup temporary files...

Remove all temp files...
    ^_^~/Desktop]$

My hatred for being forced to do this knows no bounds :D
    It's a script so I suppose I can just delete the folder contents if I want to remove
    it ? But there is also an striata-readerc executable in the folder ... ( the readerc is in /usr/bin/striata-readerc - can I simply remove it ?)

Code:
       #############################################################################################
       #                                                                                           #
       #   FileName:         install                                                               #
       #   Date Created:     2007-09-26                                                            #
       #   Date Updated:     2009-10-06                                                            #
       #   Desc:             This is a bash script that will install the Striata reader and        #
       #                     execution script into the correct directories and set the correct     #
       #                     permission.                                                           #
       #                                                                                           #
       #############################################################################################

#!/bin/bash

STRRNAME="striata-readerc"
    STRSNAME="striata-reader"
    TMPDIR="/tmp/striata-reader"
    BROWSER=""

echo "Installing Striata Reader..."

#Ask what browser they want to use:
    echo "Which browser do you want to use? eg. Type 1 for Firefox"
    echo "1. Firefox"
    echo "2. Opera"
    echo "3. Netscape"
    echo "4. Konqueror"
    read SELECTION

if [ ${SELECTION} -eq 1 ]
    then
     BROWSER="firefox"
    elif [ ${SELECTION} -eq 2 ]
    then
     BROWSER="opera"
    elif [ ${SELECTION} -eq 3 ]
    then
     BROWSER="netscape"
    elif [ ${SELECTION} -eq 4 ]
    then
     BROWSER="konqueror"
    fi

echo "
       #   FileName:         striata-reader                                                        #
       #   Date Created:     2007-09-26                                                            #
       #   Desc:             This is a bash script to easily execute the Striata reader            #
       #                     commandline application on linux.                                     #
       #                     If you want to use a different browser change the link after          #
       #                     -openwith= with the link of your browser                              #
       #                     eg. -openwith=/usr/bin/konqueror                                      #
       #   Usage:            striata-reader EncryptedFile.emc                                      #

#!/bin/bash

################################### Declare Global Variables ###################################
    STATEMENT=\"\$1\"
    ################################################################################################

################################## Test If Data Was Passed In ##################################
    [ -z \"\$STATEMENT\" ]  &&  { echo \"ERROR: You must supply a statement file name.\"; exit 1; }
    [ -f \"\$STATEMENT\" ]  ||  { echo \"ERROR: File \'\$STATEMENT\' does not exist or is not readable.\"; exit 1; }

if [ ! -e $TMPDIR ]
    then
    	mkdir $TMPDIR
    fi
    EXTRACTDIR=\"$TMPDIR/\$(date +%N)\"/
    mkdir \$EXTRACTDIR
    ################################################################################################

################################## Decrypt and Open in Browser #################################
    echo \"Decrypting and opening: \$1\"
    /usr/bin/striata-readerc -outdir=\$EXTRACTDIR -openwith=/usr/bin/${BROWSER} \$STATEMENT
    echo \"Opened in browser.\"

################################## Decrypt and Open in Browser #################################
    echo "When done press enter to cleanup temporary files..."
    read CLEANUP

if [ -n \${CLEANUP} ]
    then
    	echo \"Remove all temp files...\";
    	rm -Rf $TMPDIR/*
    fi
    " > /usr/bin/${STRSNAME}

cp ${STRRNAME}  /usr/bin/.
    chmod +x /usr/bin/${STRRNAME} /usr/bin/${STRSNAME}
    echo "Done"
    echo "To execute the Striata Reader run the following command:"
    echo "striata-reader EncryptedFile.emc"

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I have written to the developer and they have sent me a brand new striata reader packaged as a deb. It comes with a gui and it works great in Ubuntu Lucid/Karmic 64 bit systems. It's not yet available on their website and I don't think zip files are allowed at Wilders otherwise I would upload it. :)

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I think I can rename the deb to txt. So just rename it back to .deb after downloading.

View attachment striata-reader-2.9-3.txt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.