How long is the unlimited license good for?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Beagz, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beagz

Beagz Registered Member

Back when version 3.5 was current I purchased a license for unlimited upgrades. It did not provide a time limit. Was there a time limit on the license?
    Grisoft is telling me that it is only valid for 2 years. Is this true?

Thanks

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would think legally unlimited means just that unlimited for ever. Unless they have it writing somewhere public that states otherwise.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It would need someone from the company to confirm what the deal was, but I have some vague memory of licences being sold which were unlimted for the then current version and the next major version to be released. In other words you were entitled to use the version you purchased for an unlimited period, together with one upgrade, but if you wanted any further upgrades you had to buy them.

That doesn't quite tie in with what you are saying, which seems to have a time limit rather than a product limit, but the whole thing seems a bit complicated and you would need to examine carefully the wording of your order confirmation.

What actually does it say in the RH panel of the GUI? Have Grisoft unilaterally attempted to ammend this?

From my memory (for what it is worth!) Version 3 of ewido was being sold as an unlimited licence, but by the time 3.5 was released the licensing arrangements had changed.

4. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

see attachment

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  5. JonPaulOnLine

ewido forum 23Dec2005.jpg

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If they were an honourable company they would of course honour this unlimited license, but i think that with the non answers from ewido/Grisoft it's safe to say it will not be honoured.

Unlimited licenses are usually sold when a company needs cash which ewido most likely as a new struckling business needed to stay afloat.........they then got sold to Grisoft which of course want to see a return from their investment and legally they are probably fully within their rights to "forget" about the unlimited licenses ewido sold just before selling to Grisoft, in terms of what we the users think....................well thats probably something best not said publicly, isn't it.
    Btw. I bought a 2 year license for a lot less ($20) than the "unlimited license" now seem to mean. ;) :D

7. JonPaulOnLine

I have three AVG AS Unlimited License's
    see display in attachment

AVG License.jpg

8. Don Pelotas

Yes, but if Grisoft is telling the OP that an unlimited license is good for two years then whato_O

Anyway i hope for those that bought them that they will get a really unlimited license. :)

9. JonPaulOnLine

Relax :- )

ewido forum June 20 2006 001.jpg

:thumb:

10. Beagz

Beagz Registered Member

Yes mine states the same thing but the e-mail with the license states that it expires in 2 years. I also asked the support staff for grisoft and they stated only unlimited updates during the 2 year but no longer for life.

Thanks you for your replies I thought that was the agreement with ewido. I can only hope that grisoft will in fact change thier position or that the support staff was misinformed.

11. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

That does not sound too helpful, because the Company no longer exists - it has been taken over and absorbed into Grisoft.

That means Grisoft could indeed terminate the licence. From when does the 2 years commence though? Does it apply to all unlimited licences or only to some?

12. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I I read this topic I conclude this:

Grisoft's statement is: unlimited is the same as 2 years.

Or do I miss/misread something?

Gerard

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Theoretically speaking the unlimited license "expired" the moment ewido was purchased by Grisoft. The 2 years deadline is probably an "extended support phase" which is roughly equal to the amount of time the ewido 4.x engine will remain supported.

It would make sense for the 2-year license to start from the day of first releasing AVG Anti-spyware 7.5, but nobody knows for sure....

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Generally speaking, not really. When an entire entity is purchased, contractural obligations are purchased as well. An example of this would be an assumption of outstanding debts by the purchaser unless the seller explicitly retained these liabilities.

How will Grisoft handle this particular situation? Who knows.....

Blue

15. Don Pelotas

It does seem like a very strange situation where the users who bought 2 year license renewals will get the same kind of service more or less for under half the price the ones who bought an unlimited license did.:eek:

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think it's probably unlimited, yes. You just have to ask for another license for the software in 2 years. As a user you would have unlimited access to Ewido/AVG. But you'll have to request the new license to unlock the software.
    I'm assuming alot, but i don't see why they would risk their good name like that. And as BlueZannetti noted, i think they have to honour the agreement.

17. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Whan a M&A statement is settled, contractuals obligations have to be defined.
    Purchaser may acquire only some assets or all assets. The same situation for debts.
    So every M&A statement must be very detailed in defining rights, assets, credits, debts.
    Finally as you say: only Grisoft/Ewido know .....

Best Regards.
    Mike

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Quite right. I was trying to keep it simple by having it as purchasing an "entire entity", but your qualifier is correct. Ultimately it is as defined in any contract. What doesn't occur is unilateral abandonment of contractual obligations to customers, especially in cases such as the present in which the entity principals join the acquiring business.

Blue

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I might add that the customers who might be abandoned, and those who are aware of it are ones who are further potential customers.

I really doubt that the number of us who have the lifetime licenses are very many in number, and to continue to support them would not seem to be a burden. However, one's reputation is most important, and once lost is very difficult to regain.

I have taught my children, and lived by the rule, that everything I have can be taken from me, except my integrity. I have to give that up.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Yes BlueZannetti you are right.

Principals deals of an M&A are two: acquire know how or acquire customers. (or buy the competitor, but this is different ....)
    CA acquired TINY Software in 2005: the business deal was to buy know-how (last release of CA should be a Tiny rebuild version).
    Symantec acquired Sygate: the business deal was to buy customers (it seems that sygate FW is definitively shut-down).
    Ewido was acquired by Grisoft. In this case, the deal was to buy both know-how and customers. So IMO Grisoft/Ewido shouldn't mustn't have defined any abandonment of contractual obligations.

My best regards.
    Mike

21. Cpt. Sparrow

Cpt. Sparrow Registered Member

IMHO, the earlier posts from the Ewido team indicate that they wanted the lifetime licences to survive the merger.

Therefore, the 2-year-statement that started this thread might well be just based on the misinformation of the Grisoft customer support, who might just know that the maximum license period is two years, but know little or nothing about the history of Ewido and their customers.

But the fact is: We do not know any details of the contract. So, as long as we do not hear anything about this from Grisoft or the Ewido Team, this is all going to be wild guessing.

Cheers,
    El Capitan

22. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

But the fact thay they are quiet for three days already makes you wonder...

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Whether a lifetime license is truly as such or not worth the paper it was written on IS entirely at the mercy of Grisoft. Remember not too long ago, They decided to pull the plug from AVG AV free, and due to landslide pressure from users, they reversed the big mistake. The trend they are taking now, AVG AS is just a byproduct or so called spin-off item. They have internet suite, anti-malware, AV etc. They will not waste too much corporate resource to deal with this tiny issue. As a end-user, I do not care that much. There are abundant Free AS available, some are even superior to AVG. If ever they defy ethics of good business, and pull the trigger, I just regard that experience as a bad dream, and a lesson learned. AND never touch Grisoft products again in my lifetime.

24. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Licensing Quotes for Existing "Ewido" License Holders For AVG AS Renewal

Hello Everyone,

For Information Purposes!!!!

Since there is a lot of discussion about the Ewido "Unlimited" licenses going on in another thread I thought I would post up information for existing Ewido License key holders who have a 1 year license (like myself) that is about to expire and what we are being offered.

I have only a couple of more weeks of normal useage with this program before my license expires. Clicking on the "Renew Now" icon sends the user to the Grisoft web page where they can renew ONLY FOR ONE YEAR (with a "50% Discount"), prices as follows [based on initial Euro value and converted accordingly so are general rates]:

1 Year: 15.47 EUROS, 10.50 UK £, 19.85 US $

Quotes for New AVG AS Customers (1 computer):

1 Year: 26.90 EUROS, 18.27 UK £, 34.51 US $
    2 Years: 35.90 EUROS, 24.38 UK £, 46.06 US $

So there is no option for existing Ewido license holders with a 1 year key to renew for 2 years. Only new customers (paying the full rate) can get a 1 or 2 year license presently.

Hope this is of help to other users.

Richie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  25. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Re: Licensing Quotes for Existing "Ewido" License Holders For AVG AS Renewal

Hi Rickster100,

You can renew for any number of years you wish and you don't need to wait until your license expires or is going to expire.

For example, my license is going to expire in 6 months. I can now go to the renewal page, EXTEND my license by one more year by buying a new year renewal at 50% discount. After the renewal process is completed, you will be issued a new license key that is good for 1.5 years. All you have to do is to put in your new license key into the program (Enter new license code).

After that, you can go to the renewal page again, buy one more year of renewal at the same price of USD14.95. After the renewal process is completed, you will be issued a new license key that is good for 2.5 years, so forth and so on. The renewal process is actually an extension of your license for any number of years you wish. You can renew 5 times if you wish if you want to extend your license for 5 years.

I purchased one year of license in May 2006 and I have renewed 3 times to extend my license to May 2009 some time ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.