How long can a HIPS go without updates?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

A question has been on my mind for a while and I have finally decided to ask everyone here. Hope long can a Classical HIPS/Policy Based HIPS go without updates or Upgrades?

I know a HIPS does not need to be updated often like an antivirus but how long can it go without updates? Programs like Process Guard are used still by some people even though it has not been updated in a while, can it still block today's malware? Will Defensewall 2.56 still be able to handle the new malware 6 to 12 months after version 3.0 is released.

(I am not trying to compare HIPS together, I am just using those two as an example)

2. bollity

bollity Registered Member

they need update when a new generation of maleware appears,that uses a new techniques to infect the system.

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

How often do new generations appear? Weekly, Monthly, Yearly, Once a decade?

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There's no set timescale for when an entirely new method of infection will appear.The malware community are working on new ways to exploit systems all the time.

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes. and they also put a bit of their emphasis upon breaking past, or disabling, popular HIPS.

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Thanks for taking time to answer all these questions. So from my understanding from everyone's post it is not worth using past versions, correct right? If that is correct it is still not worth using even if we are not relying it for our only protection right?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I am fully understanding HIPS.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You should always use the most up to date version of a HIPS available since the vendors will have patched any discovered breaches/POCs and added extra protection coverage as a rule.That's not to say older versions will be totally useless since they'll still offer widespread protection but unless there's a good reason not to update (issues caused by later version) you should do so.

8. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

I would think you would always want to run the most up to date version/product! DefenseWall is obviously being updated to version 3 but I believe Ilya is also going to continue with two versions (firewall and non firewall). So if your question is if the discontinued version 2.56 will protect you then the answer would probably be yes. Just not as well as version 3, which will continue to be updated. The answer to your questions would probably be best directed at Ilya himself though.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I posted over at the Defensewall forums, that was kinda what I was wondering. I have a lifetime license for 2.56 so I was wondering if it was worth using.

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Ibrad - Update to the latest beta of DW 3.00. If I recall correctly It will install over your existing 2.56 and show your existing license. It is quite stable and it is very close to the release candidate. It has a 2-way firewall and you can also leave your windows firewall enabled (at least in XP Pro).

11. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

The Gizmo 2.56 lifetime license does not come with upgrades.

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Okay, didn't know that. Didn't I read somewhere though that Ilya was allowing to upgrade for $10.95 or was that something else?

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

In fact, any HIPS can go without updates until the first serious security flaw found and disclosed. About your question, concretely- at least two serious flaws is already found in DefenseWall (MJ0011, my greetz!!), so I'm in hurry to release v3.00 ASAP to keep my users protected.

14. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I got 2.56 through the Gizmo Hot Finds and I upgraded for $10.95. Thats the only place I recall seeing the $10.95 upgrade offer. I also expect to pay additional when the Firewall version is released. I am using the beta right now.

15. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Yeah with the Gizmo offer you are available for an upgrade to the new defensewall for just $10.95. I upgraded as well.

16. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

:doubt: I could be wrong but I thought Ilya mentioned something about v3.00 (with or without firewall) being a free upgrade for current customers or those customers that renewed prior to the new release/specific date (which I do not recall).o_O

17. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.